Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

windy dunes
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 06/23/11 at 04:56 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

this is a pretty simple layered composition of the big dunes north of maputo in mozambique. this was the morning of departure from the area following a couple of nights camping with friends and family. this morning, the southerly wind was howling across the dunes, bringing cool air from antartica - so at 20 deg centigrade - this was a chilly winter's day in mozambique. brrrr. the air was full of stuff - dust, sand - and creating textures and layers and highlights. this, by the way, is in full glorious technicolor but the stuff in the air made it almost perfectly duotoned.

Have a look at the L A R G E R version for details of those textures.

this'll be my last post for a few weeks - off for a road trip in mozambique, zimbabwe and south africa - taking in some scuba diving, the chimanimani mountains (from the mozambique side), the Great Zimbabwe Ruins, Gonarezhou and down for a couple of days' hiking in the Blyde River Canyon. Out on Sunday, back sometime in July!

Thanks for looking - let me know your thoughts, comments and critiques!

d700, 80-200mm, tripod, no filters but double processed single RAW file.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/23/11 at 09:41 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wonderful textures here Stuart. I like the sepia tone effect created by the dust. Have a great trip!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffry Oonk on 06/23/11 at 10:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/05/11, 21 Posts, 122 Comments

Very very nice shot. Love the lines and the texture of the frame. At first it looks like B/W or Sepia, but it looks like there are some color tones in it.

Enjoy your trip to Africa.
Jef

WILD EARTH - Exclusive Photo Safaris
www.exclusive-photo-safaris.com
   www.jeffryoonk.com
E: jef@wildearth.eu

All Photos and Comments by Jeffry Oonk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Pedro Bento on 06/23/11 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/07, 45 Posts, 761 Comments

A nice feeling of painting in this one.
BTW, I love your BW work Stuart

PB

All Photos and Comments by Pedro Bento

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Manoj Vallati on 06/23/11 at 5:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/24/11, 49 Posts, 148 Comments

This is beautiful Maputo.. I like the distant scenery . I would have included some strong patterns in the foreground and going bit low, layers would have worked if the fg to middle had some repetition similar to the top portion
Thanks for sharing this :)

Manoj Vallati Photography
Website- Travels around the world
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

All Photos and Comments by Manoj Vallati

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/23/11 at 6:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I really like the dreamy quality of the image. Fine image!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Phil Pogledich on 06/23/11 at 6:48 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/09, 123 Posts, 3099 Comments

That's quite a road trip you've got planned . . . hopefully you'll come away with some fine pictures while you're out there. This shot works well for me, particularly the layered composition. For some reason I find the two small bumps (or whatever) just along the water at the extreme LHS of the frame a bit distracting, perhaps because the rest of the landscape is relatively uniform and lacking distinct small features.

Phil Pogledich
Davis, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Phil Pogledich Gallery of Phil Pogledich

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/23/11 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Feels very desolate, Stuart. The water forms an unexpected focal point for me. Have a great trip. Will look forward to the image you bring back.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 06/23/11 at 9:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Love the receding layers and of course those amazing textures in the sand. The b/w conversion works quite well. Really has a feeling of an empty, barren land, a forbidding place even. Remarkable work as always. Have a safe trip and look forward to seeing the new images.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/23/11 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I like this! All the layers and the wonderful texture makes this very interesting. The blowing sand and dust really creates a mood here. Nice work Stuart. Have a great trip. I know I will look forward to seeing some of your images when you return.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sarah Marino on 06/23/11 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/08, 23 Posts, 393 Comments

Hi Stuart - I like the starkness of this image a lot. The layers, tones, and textures are all quite interesting to me. Nice work!

Have a great trip - sounds like it will be an adventure.

Sarah Marino, Colorado
Forever Light: The Landscape Photographer’s Guide to Iceland
[url=http://www.naturephotoguides.com]Desert Paradise: The Landscape Photographer’s Guide to Death Valley National Park[/url]
[url=http://www.naturephotoguides.com]Beyond the Grand Landscape: A Guide to Photographing Nature's Smaller Scenes[/url]
[url=http://www.sarahmarinophoto.com]Photo Portfolios[/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/sarahmarino]500px[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/SarahMarinoPhoto]Facebook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Sarah Marino

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 06/24/11 at 01:43 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Stuart,

Even though I'm enjoying the wonderful layering and texture in the dunes, I almost immediately thought of a pano crop removing the bottom layer/dune. Not quite sure why, but for some reason I'm attracted to the hazy, almost mysterious background. I guess I can live with your original posting here though. ;-) Well seen and captured.

Hey, have a great trip. Sounds like a great adventure. Be safe and come back with some great imagery to share.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 06/24/11 at 12:30 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Fantastic details in the large version - love the layering.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/25/11 at 02:05 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks to all - just packing the vehicle and we're off in a couple of hours!!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/27/11 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Sweet! The thumbnail really robs this one. The large view is awesome.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jay Levin on 07/24/11 at 4:19 pm EST    
Registered on 04/24/09, 21 Posts, 184 Comments

A belated congrats on this excellent image, Stuart. Superb layering and textures, and the comp is excellent. A mood of vast emptiness.

Jay Levin
Farmington Hills, Michigan
www.pbase.com/drjaysel/profile

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jay Levin Gallery of Jay Levin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership