Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

mozambique burns
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Man & Fauna gallery on 06/20/11 at 05:43 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 06/28/11 at 3:59 pm EST

while camping out last week on the big dunes north of maputo in mozambique, big fires were burning. the wind changed direction and it just carried on ...

much of mozambique burns each year and in some places, more than once a year. mozambicans are obsessive pyromaniacs and if there's a little dry grass and a box of matches in their pocket, they simply cannot help themselves. this is an ancient trait but the long term consequences are a loss of diversity in the woodlands of the country and nutritional declines of the plants for herbivores. virtually all the trees are fire resistant but, as elsewhere, if the fires burn at the end of the dry season (i.e., towards october) the hot fires are much more devastating.

this is made in the full moon last week and the fire was throwing a large glow in the sky. another image is included below.

d700, 17-35mm, no filters, tripod.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/20/11 at 05:44 am EST    

the second image from the next night, same fire ... this time with an 80-200mm.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Manoj Vallati on 06/20/11 at 11:19 am EST    
Registered on 02/24/11, 49 Posts, 148 Comments

Maputo, I like the second image more than the first one.. The scale of fire shown in the first one is small.. did you try brightening the shadow region ..
I like the delicate line that passes from top to bottom in the first one
Thanks for sharing

Manoj Vallati Photography
Website- Travels around the world
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

All Photos and Comments by Manoj Vallati

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Hank Pennington on 06/20/11 at 9:12 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 226 Posts, 1532 Comments

I agree that the second image is much stronger. There is just enough detail to help a viewer's eyes move through the frame and discover new details.

Hank
Kodiak, Alaska

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." -A. Einstein

"In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." ~ Thomas Jefferson

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Hank Pennington Gallery of Hank Pennington

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/21/11 at 03:48 am EST    

thanks manoj and hank - rather than have two posts i included both here - i think that from a broader arty perspective this first may be more interesting (although it does have its flaws) but i agree that the second is more dramatic and illustrative of the issue! thanks

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/22/11 at 12:27 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

Strong image. Story makes me wonder if we'll ever be able to control our primal instincts.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 06/30/11 at 02:45 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

Beautiful images, and strong impoact -
Congrats on the WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 07/04/11 at 12:46 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

I agree Stuart that the first image is more artistic-I like it a lot, but the second is certainly more powerful-especially at first glance.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership