Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

sand storm survivor
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 06/14/11 at 10:00 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

the deserts of northern kenya are among some of the windiest places in the world. sadly for those who wish to harvest wind for electricity, most of the area is very, very remote and too far away to plug into any grid. as one drives north of a place with the name of north horr (and, yes, this is pronounced as you're imagining it and, yes, there is a south horr although it is quite a long way from north horr), one moves through a land into which few venture. it is hot, desolate ... and windy. this image is made in the heat of the day, sun overhead, wind howling across the desolate plain, sand and dust filling the air. against all these odds, the occasional tree holds out.

thanks for looking; let me know what you think - it WAS bright and dusty - i have tried to capture if not embrace this. as always, have a look at the L A R G E R image for details!

hasselblad 500c/m, 80mm, delta 100 b&w film, no filters.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 06/14/11 at 10:07 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Now that's one of the better BW I've seen in awhile. It almost looks like a snow scene. I love the choice to go with the stark tree and the softer details in the rest. The large amount of sky really adds to the same effect. The large view is amazing, and I'd love to see a massive print some day. Very evocative Stuart, well done!

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 06/14/11 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I like this a lot Stuart! The composition is excellent IMO, and the exposure is right on the money. Very graphic. Well done.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Koveh Tavakkol on 06/14/11 at 11:20 am EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 41 Posts, 608 Comments

Very nice high key on this B&W. Looks like a beautiful area to photograph.

Koveh Tavakkol
Denver, CO
G+ - [url=http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1446790442]Facebook[/url]
[url=http://500px.com/Koveh]500px[/url] - [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/kublah/]Flickr[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Koveh Tavakkol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 06/14/11 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

You have captured the starkness of the environment very well. I think the B&W works well here because it helps convey the feeling of the image.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Phil Pogledich on 06/14/11 at 1:02 pm EST    
Registered on 08/24/09, 123 Posts, 3099 Comments

Very impressive! You have certainly conveyed the conditions quite well. Excellent work.

Phil Pogledich
Davis, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Phil Pogledich Gallery of Phil Pogledich

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 06/14/11 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Man, you really impress me with your work. Top notch regarding trechnicals, and more important: top notch regarding artistry, aesthetics and vision. I guess I sound like a fanboy, I guess I am...

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/14/11 at 5:35 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

This is one awesome b/w image. You really captured this place Stuart. Beautiful work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/14/11 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I very much like this one! Great sense of isolation with the comp, nice kind of high key presentation. Very well done.

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Cristiano Xavier on 06/14/11 at 7:29 pm EST    
Registered on 05/30/11, 10 Posts, 24 Comments

Solitude .
Nice composition and BW treatment.
Maybe a little bit less sky... no , forget about it .
It's perfect.

Cristiano Xavier
www.cristianoxavier.com
Brazil - Belo Horizonte -MG

All Photos and Comments by Cristiano Xavier

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 06/14/11 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Well, B&W was the way to go here for sure. Such nice tonality in this. Details are wonderful as well.

Chris

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 06/14/11 at 9:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

You've captured a fine image in a desolate place, Stuart. Every thing here suggests desolate and dry, but in a way that is quite appealing.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 06/15/11 at 11:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Very lovely, Stuart. Aside from the main tree, which is a beautiful specimen indeed, I love the inclusion of the faint background and the clouds. Together they provide a sesnse of balance that really completes this image.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/15/11 at 12:34 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like your high key presentation Stuart. It really showcases that beautiful tree and its struggle for life in such harsh conditions. The delicate details in the larger view are gorgeous.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 06/15/11 at 6:58 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

That's a nice tree and it works very well in its square frame too.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership