Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

WC486-shelob's lair
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 06/08/11 at 5:18 pm EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments
Post last edited by Stuart Williams on 06/08/11 at 5:21 pm EST

made in a barn in quebec, canada a year or two ago - processed today! i thought it might be appropriate for this theme. nature - the spiders - dominating this structure kindly put into place by a farmer.

thanks for looking! i hope you find the title appropriate! Please have a look at the L A R G E R version for some of the details!

pentax 6x7, 50mm, tripod, no filters, delta 100 b&w film.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 06/08/11 at 6:42 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

Wow! This is amazing Stuart. Natural geometry, great lines, and tones. I would hate to run into the spider that constructed this though!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 06/09/11 at 9:50 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

Very cool, indeed! This spider must be a civil engineer. My roommate from college is. And she was always constructing bridges with toothpicks or Popsicle sticks, which had to take a certain "load" on them. She would love this!

I agree with Eva about never wanting to meet this spider.......So, I "hope" this was only a close-up!!!!

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 06/10/11 at 02:23 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

That's an amazing web and a superb choice for the challenge, Stuart! Thanks for the large version. I love the details in it.

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 06/10/11 at 02:24 am EST    
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

thanks eva and lucy - much appreciated. lucy - your comment made me think about the perception of scale here - i'm not sure one can really appreciate the scale (no references) - but this is about four or five yards across!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lorna Taylor on 06/11/11 at 10:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/12/10, 254 Posts, 3083 Comments

Stunning shot Stuart , amazing detail and textures , has such a great three dimensional feel .

WWW.Taylorimages.ca
http://www.flickr.com/
Alberta, Canada

All Photos and Comments by Lorna Taylor

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nancy Lea Sandy on 06/12/11 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 01/24/11, 576 Posts, 6942 Comments

Excellent! What a great composition and perfect for this theme. I really like the b&w choice. And the title says it all. Great image.

All Photos and Comments by Nancy Lea Sandy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Varina Patel on 06/13/11 at 11:42 am EST    
Registered on 08/22/08, 45 Posts, 1578 Comments

Four or five yards across! Wow! I thought it was much smaller at first glance. I suppose the title should have given me a clue to the scale. This is very very cool. And even better at large size. I am NOT a fan of spiders, but I think we can all agree that they create incredible structures with the finest of materials. Amazing, isn't it? I love the beautiful black and white tones, here. The contrast is excellent. This shot is wonderfully abstract - and beautifully realistic at the same time. Absolutely perfect in my opinion. Well done!

Varina Patel
eBooks, Workshops, Blog
Photography by Varina
[url=http://www.photographybyvarina.com/blog]Varina's Blog[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Varina Patel Gallery of Varina Patel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 07/05/11 at 4:06 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

Maputo...So , this IS NOT a close-up!!! Remid me to never go to any barns in Quebec! : Great photo. I would say, "well seen", but I'm sure you could not miss seeing THIS! YIKES I have to ask....just how big is the spider, that makes this web?

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership