Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

cannonball alley
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 05/18/11 at 07:37 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

i doubt that the thumbnail will entice folks so if you're reading this - welcome to cannonball alley!

on the way to and from lake turkana in northern kenya, one passes through a lava desert and the landscape is dotted with cinder cones. not only is it one of the hottest places on earth but it is also one of the windiest. capitalizing on this, this spot is about to become one of the world's biggest wind farms.

as one travels through the desert, there are places where the lava seems to have fallen as a shower of cannonballs (but good luck trying to keep this lot off with an umbrella). this is one such place but by no means is it alone. there are many others.

there are many issues trying to make photographs here - not least coming up with a workable composition - but also because one rarely travels through these areas alone so stopping here for any length of time is difficult and camping is, well, uncomfortable! We passed through this area in the late afternoon so at least I had some shadows to work with ...

thanks for looking - please have a look at the L A R G E version as well.

mamiya 7ii, 43mm, delta 100 b&w film, no filters, handheld.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 05/18/11 at 08:46 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

That's some rough terrain!! Nice textures and shadows, but I think a lower perspective might help this a bit.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Guy Tal on 05/18/11 at 08:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 566 Posts, 15507 Comments

The large version is well worth viewing for the detail and tone not easily discernible in the smaller one.

Guy

Guy Tal Photography
Torrey, Utah
USA
Guy Tal Photography | [url=http://list-manage.com/subscribe?u=44218c20da7fb0d58c54d1fe8&id=135ab63528]Newsletter[/url] | [url=http://twitter.com/guytalphoto]Twitter[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/guytalphoto]Facebook[/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/116369071500456395369/posts]Google+[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Guy Tal Gallery of Guy Tal

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/18/11 at 09:30 am EST    

bill, you're probably right - there may be a number of different perspectives that one could consider including a lower one. In fact, I have a number of images made from this location and, like my previous post, they do rather well as a coherent group (or series). thanks.

guy - thanks - you're right - looking at the larger image helps!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/18/11 at 09:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

I agree, you need to look at the large version here. Amazing textures and detail. It does look like a rough place to photograph, and get around. I think you captured it well, Stuart.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 05/18/11 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Interesting textures and documentary of the location. Not what I would call a wall-hanger though

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Scott Smorra on 05/18/11 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 11/02/09, 161 Posts, 2143 Comments

The details in the large version are excellent. I like the composition with the single plant/stick in the LLC.

Scott Smorra
Portland, Oregon

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Scott Smorra Gallery of Scott Smorra

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/18/11 at 10:53 am EST    

Ah, now that's an interesting comment, Kah - is that the ultimate objective of all this - wall hangers? I really don't know ...!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Adam Gibbs on 05/18/11 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 168 Posts, 870 Comments

The large version is definitely worth looking at, thanks for posting it as the smaller images get a bit lost. Wonderful details Stuart. I can see how camping might be uncomfortable.

Adam Gibbs.com
[url=http://whytake.net/Portfolio/AdamGibbs/642][b]Whytake.com[/b][/url] For outstanding nature photography
And where the grass grows through the concrete it shows a path to follow, I chose this way to follow - [b]New Model Army[/b] -

All Photos and Comments by Adam Gibbs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 05/18/11 at 1:25 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Incredible textures and light, Stuart. Finding a composition most have been challenging but yours really works; just enough order to engage the viewer. The large image is outstanding.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 05/18/11 at 4:21 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Well i agree and disagree with KK--cause i think the objective IS to get wall hangers, but for crazy folks like me who actually would hang this on their wall
Seriously, a cool shot, i think it probably suffers from some of the problems that my last post (the grass) did--translating 3d to 2d--but this is a cooler subject than mine so ill give you a B+ (yes, we are assigning grades now too )

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/18/11 at 5:01 pm EST    
Comment last edited by Stuart Williams on 05/18/11 at 5:02 pm EST

stan - i agree and disagree with KK too - wall hangers are great (and yes i'm of the kind to hang this kind of stuff on my wall as well!) but i'm far from 100% convinced that's the only goal out there!

B+, eh? thanks. but please please please never go down the grading, scoring line on NPN ... NPN's beauty is that there is NO scoring system and one must write one's thoughts.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anthony Vincent on 05/18/11 at 7:01 pm EST    
Registered on 02/05/09, 199 Posts, 2775 Comments

For some reason I missed commenting on your last few posts.....Truly artistic Stuart. Keep finding these comps
Beautiful work.

Anthony Vincent
"There are many things in life that will catch your eye.
But only a few will catch your heart. Pursue those."

All Photos and Comments by Anthony Vincent

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 05/18/11 at 7:25 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Beautiful tones and textures in this desolate scene, Stuart. I also like the interplay of light and shadow. The details in the large version really jump out at you.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/18/11 at 8:32 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The textures and light are wonderful here Stuart. A quality B&W all around and a film capture like this is always special for me. Love it.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 05/19/11 at 02:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This one seems really nice to my sensibilities. The subject is very interesting and I love the interlay of highlights and shadows that adds a lot of character.

Always a pleasure to study your photographs.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership