Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

The Battlefield
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 05/15/11 at 2:48 pm EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

Strewn with debris, the chaos of the battlefield. Rock and water. Water grinds it down, turning rock against itself. Swirling, seething, eddying, surging.

This river does not reach the sea but, tired, the water seeps into the sand, gathering into some deep aquifer not to emerge to see the light of day for millennia.

These are four images from a longer series made now over the last few years along a stretch of the Ewaso Ng’iro river in north-central Kenya in a place called Sabuk. A place of mystery. A little further downstream is a place where the young warriors, freshly circumcised, are taken for some ceremony before they are banished from their home villages for a decade. You leave as a boy and come back, aware and mature, as a man.

I hope you enjoy them. Thoughts welcome. All made with one camera, one lens: Mamiya 7ii, 43mm, delta 100 b&w film. No filters here.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/15/11 at 2:49 pm EST    

This is but a brief pause in the perpetual battle between rock and water. As with most battlefields, there’s little elegance here. Scarred, deformed, the rock lies quiet for this moment, waiting for the next onslaught.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/15/11 at 2:51 pm EST    

More scars

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/15/11 at 2:54 pm EST    

And more

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/15/11 at 3:11 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

This series is magnificent Stuart! Each one is better than the last with their silvery tones and twisted forms. The second reminded me of tortured souls at first glance for some reason. I am sure, each has it own story. Amazing work!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by James Fougère on 05/15/11 at 3:13 pm EST    
Registered on 10/25/10, 41 Posts, 831 Comments

Erosion over time has created quite the scene in this place. Nice captures

James Fougère
Whistler, BC
Journey of Discovery

All Photos and Comments by James Fougère

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Cory Freeman on 05/15/11 at 3:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/16/03, 107 Posts, 1341 Comments

awesome images Stuart! I'm thinking if you add a bit more midtone contrast this might look even better; say by duplicating the bg layer and applying some sharpening with usm of 20,50,0 and adjust oppacity to taste? just a thought. really liking your work.

Sierra Impressions.com
[url=http://bishopweather.com]Bishopweather.com[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Cory Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Sarah Marino on 05/15/11 at 4:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/08, 23 Posts, 393 Comments

Stuart - this looks like an incredible place to visit and photograph. I am also really enjoying the silvery tones of all the images, but agree with Cory about the mid-tone contrast. Brightening the lighter parts of the water could also add some depth. Otherwise, I really like the processing and composition. The patterns in the second image are incredible, as well!

Sarah Marino, Colorado
Forever Light: The Landscape Photographer’s Guide to Iceland
[url=http://www.naturephotoguides.com]Desert Paradise: The Landscape Photographer’s Guide to Death Valley National Park[/url]
[url=http://www.naturephotoguides.com]Beyond the Grand Landscape: A Guide to Photographing Nature's Smaller Scenes[/url]
[url=http://www.sarahmarinophoto.com]Photo Portfolios[/url] | [url=http://www.500px.com/sarahmarino]500px[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/SarahMarinoPhoto]Facebook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Sarah Marino

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jared Atencio on 05/15/11 at 6:18 pm EST    
Registered on 06/23/09, 21 Posts, 422 Comments

These are all fantastic Stuart! They seem to convey a dark and twisted feeling, which is kind of an intersting juxtaposition to the lower-contrast processing and the soft light. I think maybe the 1st and 3rd could use a touch more contrast as other's have mentioned, but I like the 2nd and 4th as is. I also appreciate the info about the location of the images, so thanks for sharing that as well!

Jared J. Atencio
Pacific Grove, CA

All Photos and Comments by Jared Atencio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 05/15/11 at 6:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

These are really gorgeous, Stuart. I especially like number 2, but they're all well done.

I think your battlefield analogy is interesting. I will admit that the beauty to come out of the rock-water interaction doesn't necessarily make me think in terms of war though and thinking of these images in terms of "scars" doesn't seem to do justice to their interesting character. Just my thoughts, though. They're your images and I can easily appreciate and like them regardless of the metaphorical context.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Rhodus on 05/15/11 at 9:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/16/03, 157 Posts, 3326 Comments

Wonderful series of images Stuart. I see through your images that this location is loaded with character.

Wayne Rhodus
Basehor, Kansas
http://www.rhodusphotography.com

All Photos and Comments by Wayne Rhodus

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Scott Miller on 05/16/11 at 02:03 am EST    
Registered on 05/09/11, 23 Posts, 322 Comments

great series! thanks for sharing.

Scott Miller
Portland, OR

All Photos and Comments by Scott Miller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/16/11 at 02:36 am EST    

thanks for comments.

- cory, sarah & jared - I shall experiment further with mid-tone contrast - thanks for suggestion.

- tony - i wrote the blurb for the second image (for which i think it is appropriate) and then decided on the spur of the moment to throw the others in (things are busy at present and i haven't the time really to add things one by one ...!) so you're right, the analogy doesn't work across all the images but i think it works best for the second (and it seems that eva agrees!)

thanks again.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Floris van Breugel on 05/16/11 at 02:48 am EST    
Registered on 12/19/08, 306 Posts, 4840 Comments

Wonderful, Stuart. You really have a way with producing such wonderful smooth yet rich tones in your black and whites. I like the combination of the silky water and the smooth worn rocks.

In the future, if you could stick to one image per post we'd appreciate that - otherwise it makes it harder for folks to comment specifically and in depth on your image. You are, however, welcome to provide a link to a blog post or webpage that shows more images (or save them for future posts!). Anyways, fascinating scenes!

Floris van Breugel
Seattle, Washington
Galleries: http://www.ArtInNaturePhotography.com/
Adventure Blog: [url]http://www.artinnaturephotography.com/wordpress[/url]
Moderator - Landscape Discussion

"Perfection is the enemy of good."

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Floris van Breugel Gallery of Floris van Breugel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Andreas Resch on 05/16/11 at 05:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/07, 322 Posts, 6101 Comments

Amazing - what a place. All shots are wonderful and a pleasure to look at, Stuart.

Andreas Resch
Graz, Austria
Andreas Resch - Nature Photography
[url=http://www.facebook.com/pages/Andreas-Resch-Nature-Photographer/231996359564?ref=mf]Facebook Fan Page[/url]
[url=https://plus.google.com/108518434009347173757/posts]Google Plus Page[/url]
[url=http://www.andreasresch.at/upload/WebSharpener.zip]Web Downsizing/Sharpening Script for Photoshop[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Andreas Resch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/16/11 at 07:23 am EST    

Oooops - sorry about that Floris. time constraints and the series nature of this stuff. no worries - sharn't do it again! [But given that many people work on projects or series, it might be worth considering a different gallery for cohesive projects/series?]

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 05/16/11 at 08:30 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

What a great series. Love your use of the gnarled twisted forms.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Anderson on 05/16/11 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 346 Posts, 2696 Comments
Comment last edited by Matt Anderson on 05/16/11 at 09:43 am EST

Stuart, I'm GLAD you broke the rules, and posted the series. Some people don't realize that many images are produced to be viewed as a SERIES and not a single entity.

I think they all are amazing, but the second one has a ghoulish damned souls aurora that is quite unsettling. I love it!
Great SERIES of images, and thank you for posting them all.

My Website My Instagram  My Facebook 500px 

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Anderson Gallery of Matt Anderson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 05/16/11 at 10:08 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

A beautiful series Stuart. I do disagree about the elegance though - I find these to be very elegant, and they work so nicely in B&W.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Zack Clothier on 05/16/11 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 01/28/10, 343 Posts, 2257 Comments

I really like the first and second post. The processing is great. Nicely done Stuart!

Zack Clothier
Silver Gate, Montana
Website

Follow Me On Facebook
500px

All Photos and Comments by Zack Clothier

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jesse Estes on 05/16/11 at 12:20 pm EST    
Registered on 04/13/11, 20 Posts, 174 Comments

What a sweet little scene you found here. Excellent work!

All Photos and Comments by Jesse Estes

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dietrich Gloger on 05/16/11 at 12:28 pm EST    
Registered on 01/26/07, 360 Posts, 9876 Comments

Very strong series Stuart. The second one is my favourite. This is as "HR Giger" as it gets, a fantastic shot.

Dietrich ("Didl") Gloger, Linz-Vienna, Austria.
Wista DX, 4x5", Provia and Velvia.
Canon EOS 5D,
EF 24-105mm; EF 70-200mm IS; TS-E 45mm;
www.dietrichgloger.at

All Photos and Comments by Dietrich Gloger

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 05/16/11 at 1:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

I like this much more than the previous one i commented on--great diaganol comp, nice dynamics--great shot!

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 05/16/11 at 1:12 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Oh--just noticed the others (i agree with FLoris, btw the Photo Art Gallery permits series, but a link is best ) I really like #2, and 3, 4 are great too but id tighten them up a bit by cropping the top of both.

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/17/11 at 11:00 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments
Comment last edited by Nick Bristol on 05/17/11 at 11:05 am EST

These are awesome! A wonderful series, Stuart. I really enjoy looking at these. Beautiful work.

interesting, looks like we were commenting on each others image at the same time.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 05/17/11 at 10:52 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Fantastic portfolio of images, Stuart. The tones are superb, and the shapes and forms of the rocks are really amazing. The second and third images are really stunning in my book.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership