Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

the tunnel
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 05/10/11 at 08:46 am EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

rather than the subway, that icon from north america, this is The Tunnel from the drakensberg in south africa. it lies at the bottom of the tugela falls (apparently the second highest waterfall in the world - possibly image to follow ...). i thought the curves were rather compelling. constrained as i was, using 100ISO film (ilford delta 100), this required an exposure of 2 or 4 secs (I don't recall which) at f22! anyway, i hope you enjoy this image - illustrating that water around the world has similar erosion powers!

thanks for looking - notes and ideas on tweaks or crops or dodges or burns welcome!!

mamiya 7ii, 43mm, delta 100 b&w film, tripod, no filters.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marsel van Oosten on 05/10/11 at 09:12 am EST    
Registered on 03/09/04, 285 Posts, 2277 Comments

Funny - my first response before reading your caption was: the Subway in bw, that's refreshing. But a different subway, that's even more refreshing.

I can't really comment on exposure and dodging and burning as I'm on a laptop right now, but overall this looks pretty neat. That said, the water in the foreground is not nearly as interesting as the boulders in the midground, and I'd prefer to have those in the foreground. I realize that you wouldn't have been able to get the view you have now, but still.

I used to own a Mamiya 7II and three lenses - I don't think I've ever seen anything that sharp and awesome coming straight out of the camera.

Marsel van Oosten | Squiver Photo Tours & Workshops

[b]2014/2015 Workshops: Iceland | Japan | Namibia | Svalbard | Zambia | South Africa[/b]

[url=http://www.squiver.com/]Website | [/url][url=http://www.squivernews.blogspot.com/]Blog | [/url][url=http://www.facebook.com/marselvanoostenphotography/]Facebook | [/url][url=http://twitter.com/Squiver/]Twitter[/url]

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marsel van Oosten Gallery of Marsel van Oosten

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/10/11 at 09:14 am EST    
Comment last edited by Stuart Williams on 05/10/11 at 09:14 am EST

marsel - thanks - the 43mm is an utterly awesome lens!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Cory Freeman on 05/10/11 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 12/16/03, 107 Posts, 1341 Comments

great tones and texture throughout this. maybe open the shadows a touch in the urc and add a slight amount of midtone contrast?

Sierra Impressions.com
[url=http://bishopweather.com]Bishopweather.com[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Cory Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Guy Tal on 05/10/11 at 10:28 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 566 Posts, 15507 Comments

Stuart, I'm becoming a big fan of your B&W work. Like the previous posts, this shows great sensitivity to the visual elements of the place, and superb processing.

Guy

Guy Tal Photography
Torrey, Utah
USA
Guy Tal Photography | [url=http://list-manage.com/subscribe?u=44218c20da7fb0d58c54d1fe8&id=135ab63528]Newsletter[/url] | [url=http://twitter.com/guytalphoto]Twitter[/url] | [url=http://www.facebook.com/guytalphoto]Facebook[/url] | [url=https://plus.google.com/116369071500456395369/posts]Google+[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Guy Tal Gallery of Guy Tal

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by James Fougère on 05/10/11 at 10:37 am EST    
Registered on 10/25/10, 41 Posts, 831 Comments

Well done, nice BW conversion. Is there much color to see in this scene?

James Fougère
Whistler, BC
Journey of Discovery

All Photos and Comments by James Fougère

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Alex Mody on 05/10/11 at 10:47 am EST    
Registered on 12/25/07, 163 Posts, 1896 Comments

This is fantastic! I your unique vision here, and it looks awesome in the B+W you shot it in.

Alex Mody
Olympia, Washington, USA
ALEXMODY.COM | [url=http://www.alexmody.com/gallery/workshops/][b]Workshops (NEW listings for 2014)[/b][/url]
[url=http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Alex-Mody-Photography/236443221276][b]Facebook | [/b][/url][url=https://plus.google.com/105021353557872294280/posts][b]G+ | [/b][/url][url=http://500px.com/Alexmody
][b]500px[/b][/url]

All Photos and Comments by Alex Mody

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 05/10/11 at 11:16 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Stuart, This is wonderful. I really enjoy looking at this. Beautiful black and white work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/10/11 at 11:23 am EST    

@ james - there wasn't a lot of colour - much better suited to b&w (but i might not be the one to ask!). with some good reflected light and TK's skills, i'm sure that one could produce some colour magic. downstream, the water was an utterly gorgeous turquoise blue!

thanks to all for comments!

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vijay Raj on 05/10/11 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/10, 29 Posts, 100 Comments

Your image is such a grounder. As I see innumerable images each one pushing the limits of digital photography with the premise of capturing what the eye is seeing. Your image brings one back to ask the moot question 'Is there purity of the medium? Your image answers that question comprehensively that you can still have images done in a single exposure with absolutely stunning effect.

All Photos and Comments by Vijay Raj

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 05/10/11 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The tones and shapes just pull me through the Tunnel Stuart. Well crafted B&W!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary McGhee on 05/10/11 at 2:03 pm EST    
Registered on 04/15/10, 142 Posts, 2416 Comments

I cant offer any suggestions for tweeks etc Stuart because I like it as is. The comp is excellent, nice shadow and highlight detail and nice and sharp too.

Gary.

Gary McGhee,
Wirral,
UK.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary McGhee Gallery of Gary McGhee

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 05/10/11 at 3:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Does look like the subway. Gotta be honest here--this isnt working for me., but maybe thats because it reminds me of a b&w subway... I think the main problem(s) for me is the water exposure has removed the sense of dynamics from the flow--looks almost more like ice than water. I think a lower perspecive or sharper angle mightt have been stronger as well. Sorry!

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/10/11 at 4:27 pm EST    

stan - thanks - you're right water isn't perfect (such are the constraints) and maybe a sharper angle may have proved more dynamic. good to have feedback though - thanks.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kevin Trinkner on 05/10/11 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 06/30/08, 203 Posts, 2641 Comments

I think this is beautiful, the textures and tones are wonderful and I love you did this in BW, and on film no less... This image works for me, well done!

Check out my new website!
Kevin Trinkner Photography
I guess technically it's no longer new, but check it out anyway..

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”
Edward Abbey

Kevin Trinkner
Forest Junction, WI

All Photos and Comments by Kevin Trinkner

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barry Vangrov on 05/10/11 at 5:43 pm EST    
Registered on 09/01/09, 148 Posts, 749 Comments

Compositionally I think this is dead on. Processing-wise the mid-tones look a bit dark and maybe a bit more contrast for added punch, but both of those could be my monitor. Nice job.

All Photos and Comments by Barry Vangrov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chip Phillips on 05/10/11 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/26/07, 128 Posts, 1436 Comments

Awesome image Stuart. The comp has a wonderful flow and I like the slight sheen on the water.

Chip Phillips
Spokane, Wa
   Chip Phillips Photography
"Ordering a performance of light waves for the public eye is much like ordering a performance of sound waves for the public ear." Galen Rowell, Mountain Light.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chip Phillips Gallery of Chip Phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Pelton on 05/10/11 at 7:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/03, 380 Posts, 4647 Comments

Beautiful B&W tones. I like this composition, although I can see other nice possibilities.

J. Mark Pelton

All Photos and Comments by Mark Pelton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 05/10/11 at 8:30 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

You got me too! I was definately think the American Southwest, if not the Subway. I like the tonality here, and the comp too. My only nit is in agreement with Stan about the water. The shutterspeed was too long for this amount of water flow. It basically smoothed it out too much. You could experiment with some dodge/burn to try and bring back some dynamics to the water and this would be real nice.

Chris

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 05/11/11 at 02:18 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

This is phenomenal, Stuart. The light and shadow, and the tortuous curve of the water and rock carrying the eye back, simply are superb. The tonality you achieve with black and white is fantastic. Beautiful art.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marc Adamus on 05/11/11 at 7:38 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/05, 780 Posts, 8091 Comments

Man, I would love to explore such a place! Processing in this one could be improved by brightening the water highlights a bit, otherwise very solid.

If you find yourself photographing a place because others have done so, you have already missed the greatest things you can find as both artist and photographer.

Although we travel the world in search of the beautiful, we must carry it with us always or we find it not - Emmerson.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marc Adamus Gallery of Marc Adamus

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stuart Williams on 05/11/11 at 11:31 pm EST    

Marc - yes, a place worthy of much exploration ... sadly i was here only for a brief moment but will see if i can get back.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership