Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Untold Stories
Photo posted by Stuart Williams in the Landscape gallery on 03/29/11 at 5:35 pm EST
Registered on 12/07/07, 247 Posts, 4792 Comments

There are a lot of stories here. Not only from my own past either

If this image could tell its environmental story, then it could sit just as easily in the EPJ forum. As it happens, that EPJ story cannot be told from this image and instead you see the Ewaso Ng'iro river winding its way past doum palms. Apparently a peaceful, idyllic scene. Made in the early morning light, 26 December 2010, from the very spot that I had hung my mosquito net. The start of a journey into the deserts of northern kenya.

Incidentally, I have an image in the Flora Forum showing another doum palm but in a different form - have a look!

Thanks for looking; let me know your thoughts.

Hassy 500c/m, 80mm, delta 100 b&w film, no filters.

Stuart Williams
Lilongwe, Malawi

"one's destination is never a place, but a new way of seeing things" - henry miller

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Stuart Williams Gallery of Stuart Williams
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stan Rose on 03/29/11 at 8:14 pm EST    
Registered on 09/15/05, 836 Posts, 17099 Comments

Its complex, almost busy, but it works for me due to the fascinating mood, and i like the high-key look!

Stan Rose
Pueblo, Colorado
stanroseimages.com
New! Weather Forecasting for Photographers
[url=http://www.stanroseimages.com/product/weather_for_photographers/]EBook[/url]

All Photos and Comments by Stan Rose

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/29/11 at 8:41 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

I like this picture. As Stan says, there is so much going on, but it holds together well. I suspect that the b&w treatment helps that considerably.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Tony Kuyper on 03/29/11 at 10:06 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 364 Posts, 22328 Comments

It's a beautiful image, Stuart, but it's really begging to tell more. Looking forward for what's to come.

Tony Kuyper
Luminosity Masks and other tutorials

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Tony Kuyper Gallery of Tony Kuyper

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 03/29/11 at 10:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like the B&W here Stuart but that is your signature. I miss B&W film work and your images always bring me back to where I want to be. I like the untold story you speak about here and the guessing of what has gone one on. Nice!

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 03/30/11 at 12:14 am EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Superb, Stuart. The design of your composition is exquisite and the tonal range has captured an incredible lightness to the light yet with still bold graphic elements in the foreground. While one can see a story in your image, one also sees an artist's vision. Phenomenal.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/30/11 at 04:36 am EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Stuart, your image keeps my attention especially by this reflexion in the foreground, which is embedded in an interesting pattern of shapes, lines and textures. The b&w conversion is consistent with the atmosphere.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Chauvin on 03/30/11 at 06:25 am EST    
Registered on 08/05/04, 1007 Posts, 5595 Comments

Wonderful! This has the look of an image from another age.

David Chauvin
South Louisiana
"Thunder don't wet the ground" -unattributed

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Chauvin Gallery of David Chauvin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jack Brauer on 03/30/11 at 10:30 am EST    
Registered on 09/12/05, 40 Posts, 627 Comments

Gorgeous composition and exposure!

All Photos and Comments by Jack Brauer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Edwards on 03/30/11 at 6:41 pm EST    
Registered on 12/06/08, 142 Posts, 2623 Comments

A very nice b/w image, Stuart, with a strong documentary feel to it. I see how it could just as easily be in the EPJ forum. I like the way the river winds back into the shot, and the way my eye is led by the leading lines and position of the trees.

David Edwards
Radiant Sky Photo
Brisbane, Australia

All Photos and Comments by David Edwards

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ant on 03/31/11 at 1:22 pm EST    
Registered on 04/13/09, 27 Posts, 474 Comments
Comment last edited by Ant on 03/31/11 at 1:23 pm EST

Extremely fascinating! At first, it looks almost as a casual or purely documentary shot, and then, the more you look at it... it becomes full of details, resonances, and the grey tones are fantastic. Splendid, very classic.

Antonello Provenzale, Italy

All Photos and Comments by Ant

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 04/01/11 at 12:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 04/01/11 at 12:05 am EST

What I have always loved about your work is how real the scenes look, yet they are presented in an artistic fashion. I can not only enjoy your vision but also know that such places actually exist.

Look forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership