Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Floodplain
Photo posted by Ian Wolfenden in the Landscape gallery on 01/31/18 at 09:47 am EST
Registered on 05/18/07, 1108 Posts, 7647 Comments

This is a slightly different version of an image I recently posted on WC.  Heavy rains have drenched this floodplain area alongside the river Mersey - normally this stretch of open field adjacent to some protected wet woodland is simply a bit boggy.
Canon 400D, 18-55 @ 21, 1/640 @ f8, ISO 400

Manchester, England

NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ian Wolfenden Gallery of Ian Wolfenden
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/31/18 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a fine image, Ian. I think it's better than the one in WC. It's a bit mournful but certainly has a lot of emotion in it. It has a wild northern beauty about it. I like how the reflections are broken up by the wind. Definitely a somber image. Thanks for sharing.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/31/18 at 6:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I agree with Igor that your image has a very somber mood.  The trees appear anxious.  I especially like the rippled foreground and reflections.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/31/18 at 6:30 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ian, Looks like the rains turned this boggy area into a small river for awhile and you did a nice job capturing that. The rippled water and the s curve reflections really make this work for me. You captured the look and mood.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Silvia Richter on 02/01/18 at 01:00 am EST    
Registered on 02/27/11, 18 Posts, 167 Comments

A real story teller to me, Ian. I appreciate the interplay of the diverse elements, especially the subtle ripples and delicate twigs.

Silvia

Silvia Richter
Vienna, Austria

All Photos and Comments by Silvia Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 02/01/18 at 10:58 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Good choice to use BW, it lets the patterns and textures dominate. I really like the central tree with the one to its right; a vertical pano of those two would be an interesting crop.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/03/18 at 2:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Great mood here, and wonderful light, Ian. I especially like the tones in the water and the (somewhat) high-key approach to the processing. This works well for me.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership