Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Green-tailed Towhee
Photo posted by Richard Ditch in the Avian gallery on 04/16/17 at 12:29 pm EST
Registered on 11/01/03, 1031 Posts, 12705 Comments

Green-tailed Towhee (Pipilo chlorurus)

Place: Phoenix, AZ
Date: April 11, 2017, 8:06 am
Equipment: Nikon D7200, AF-S Nikkor 200-500mm f/5.6E ED VR @ 400mm, G1325, RRS BH-55
Exposure: Auto ISO 1250, Shutter priority matrix metered, 1/250th @ f/5.6
Raw, PS CC 2017 on Mac, cropped to 73% of full frame

Not all the visitors to our back yard are on my unpopular list. We have been seeing a Green-tailed Towhee in spring migration each year for the past five years or so. The towhee shows up near a wall outside the house and kicks around the leaf litter from a large mesquite tree. They rarely stay beyond one day and my photo attempts in previous years have been rather poor. This year I managed two acceptable shots through the glass window.

I’d prefer a little more space behind the tail; I’m grateful that I didn’t clip it in this frame as I did most of the others.

Since the long ago days of my first Nikon EL I’ve shot in aperture preferred mode, but I’ve recently been trying shutter preferred along with auto ISO. This has been working well in low light situations with the D7200 - the ISO performance is decent and the camera allows two “user settings” on one dial that store all the primary settings for the two modes.

Honest critiques requested; all comments appreciated. If possible please view the large version before commenting.

Richard Ditch
Phoenix, AZ

Web Site

http://www.richditch.wordpress.com

“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” - Thomas Jefferson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Richard Ditch Gallery of Richard Ditch
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Charlie VanTassel on 04/16/17 at 7:32 pm EST    
Registered on 10/18/06, 644 Posts, 4801 Comments

So I guess that new lens is working out for you?  This looks plenty sharp, and it takes some skill to bring out this kind of detail with the subdued lighting.  devil

Charlie VanTassel
San Diego

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Charlie VanTassel Gallery of Charlie VanTassel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/16/17 at 7:43 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

A nice shot of this bird, Richard. Interestingly, the only place I've seen them was Arizona a couple of years ago.  You got a really nice head turn and beautiful detail in the feathers. 

It's interesting that you're trying shutter priority and auto iso.  I've heard of people who like the auto iso, but I've never really tried it.  Given your results here and the difficulty of early morning photography, it might be worth thinking about.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Ditch on 04/16/17 at 9:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1031 Posts, 12705 Comments

Charlie:

the lens is great, very sharp, and I've had little trouble adapting to it.

Dennis

I was slow to adopt auto ISO. What makes it work for me is the D7200 has good noise performance so I don't have to worry as much when I get beyond 800. Plus, the U1 and U2 memories of shooting parameters makes changing between two configurations as simple as turning one dial by one position.

Richard Ditch
Phoenix, AZ

Web Site

http://www.richditch.wordpress.com

“Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom.” - Thomas Jefferson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Ditch Gallery of Richard Ditch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barbara Graham on 04/17/17 at 11:36 am EST    
Registered on 07/27/10, 1310 Posts, 5035 Comments

Exquisite detail, as always, and very hard to believe it was shot through glass.  Wonderful look at this pretty bird, who really looks like he sees you through the glass.

Barbara Graham
Decatur, Georgia

"We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barbara Graham Gallery of Barbara Graham

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Matt Shellenberg on 04/17/17 at 8:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/06/08, 168 Posts, 3118 Comments

Great detail for shooting in low light and through glass, Richard. This is a species I would love to have in my files.

Matt Shellenberg
Belleville, Illinois
http://afocusonnature.com
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mattshellenberg

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Matt Shellenberg Gallery of Matt Shellenberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership