Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Monarch Pupa
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 07/23/18 at 12:35 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 07/23/18 at 12:37 pm EST

I've had the pleasure of watching this Monarch pupa from it's original formation until it hatched, about two hours after taking this photo.  This was taken after one of the many short showers that we had yesterday.  While I was inside processing the 22 images in this stack, the BF hatched ( cheeky ).  I have a couple of shots of the newly hatched BF, but mostly it was pointing it's wings straight at the one opening through the arrowhead that gave me a clean look and I wasn't about to adjust the vegetation and take the chance of knocking the BF into my pond.  (5D3, 180 mm macro L, 1/15 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod and cable release)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 07/23/18 at 1:16 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Such a great macro shot, Mark, and a great story to go with it.  I know that you were disappointed to not get a shot of the BF hatching, especially after keeping tabs on this pupa for a couple of weeks.  Anyway, I like this shot very much, and so much detail in it, even the little droplets.  Superb!

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 07/23/18 at 7:46 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Now that's a lot of stacking, Mark! That said, this must have been done in really calm conditions. I like that the wings are visible at a time just before adulthood. And the water drops are a nice bonus.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 07/28/18 at 09:33 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Great shot Mark... Love the color and comp!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership