Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Prismatic's Mist Colors
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 05/14/18 at 11:14 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Several years ago, I got some pictures of the runoff from Yellowstone's Grand Prismatic Springs that included colors from the pool and the runoff reflected in the mist.  After multiple visits, I've finally managed to catch those colors again.  It looks to be a sun angle phenomenon since I've now managed it twice, both times in spring and later in the afternoon (4-5 pm).  It'll be really tough continuing to check this idea out...sad.  (5D3, 24-105 f/4 IS II @ 80 mm, f/16, 1/80s, iso 200, tripod and polarizer)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 05/14/18 at 11:22 am EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Wow, what a colorful scene, Mark.  The large view is a must. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 05/14/18 at 5:57 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Color and mist is great Mark.  The more subtle colors in the pools are especially nice.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 05/15/18 at 09:06 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Very otherworldly scene you captured here, Mark. I particularly like the details and range of colors in the large view. My only suggestion would be to make this even more abstract with a little crop from the top to get rid of the area in the ULC that is showing through the mist. Very cool image.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 05/15/18 at 09:26 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Mark, this is a nice capture of a fascinating phenomenon. Love the colors and texture in the foreground as well. I'm sure this is just an effect of not having a solid horizon, but I keep wanting to see the virtual horizon more level, though that may not look right in reality.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 05/15/18 at 10:52 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors and real nice abstract scene.  I am with Craig on wanting a CCW rotation. And I might clone out the bright spots toward the upper left corner? Fine take from Yellowstone. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paula LeVay on 05/15/18 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 07/29/16, 66 Posts, 270 Comments

If you've visited Grand Prismatic, it's hard to forget the magical power that the spring can hold over you.  With its variation in color and pattern that change over time, I am always excited to return there and to try and capture the essence of this special place.  Love the way you have realistically captured both color and pattern in your fine image.  Very nice.

Paula Levay
Beach City, Texas
http://www.storiedpixels.com

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paula LeVay Gallery of Paula LeVay

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 05/17/18 at 11:11 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Superb large landscape view of the Springs.
I too, think it needs CCW rotation.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership