Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Value of NPN
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 04/04/18 at 11:48 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 04/04/18 at 12:02 pm EST

Here's a fall look along the Lamar River in Yellowstone that illustrates one of the things that I've learned in my 7 years and an NPN member.  If you compare this view with the view posted below, you'll notice some significant changes in both brightness and in contrast in particular areas of the view (best seen in the larger version).  These are done by burning and dodging through luminosity masks, which I've learned from NPN member Tony Kuyper.  With conventional burning/dodging, you're only changing the brightness, which is often makes the adjustments clearly visible.  Although it's not illustrated here, the broad views of what's interesting in nature that NPN members routinely display has also effected my ability to "see", leading to some images that I would probably not have noticed prior to joining NPN.

I would like to take this opportunity to strongly encourage all members to comment regularly because it's the comments that create the sense of community and provide the details that allow all members to continue to grow.  If you're good enough to post, you know enough to comment effectively.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 04/04/18 at 12:01 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 04/05/18 at 10:15 am EST

The RAW only processed version, note in particular the changes in brightness of the river on the left, the sky through the trees, the brightness in the distance and the reduced contrast in the foreground bush that are part of the original post.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 04/04/18 at 3:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 04/04/18 at 3:16 pm EST

Mark, you've made this image a really fine example in the use of the post processing tools I mentioned in my recently posted pano image. I can guarantee the 3 images I have prior to that stitched scene and the overall post processing to the end is like night & day. Thankfully.

I cannot stress enough the other point you make about being involved and commenting too. But, for me that has been beat to death and apparently will not change unless a hook is placed in the system. Alas, that seems to be all behind us at this point in the long history of NPN. The heyday of the masses working collectively is after all what brought about the strength of the community to share ideas. Overall, some of that was brought about by the infancy of the photographic social media participation. Many years have passed since that opening bell was rung.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 04/04/18 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Mark, this an excellent composition. Looks like tough lighting which you handled well. Lamar Valley was among my favorite locations in the park on my one trip there. I like the diagonal leading lines of the river and the fork. The bright foliage on the island really carries my eye through the scene.

I completely agree with regard to the value of NPN, and that all members should participate more. When I joined in 2004 there were lots more comments than these days, and likely more member, too. Personally, I would encourage all members not to be afraid to give their honest critiques on how an image can be improved, which for me is far more valuable than just an obligatory positive comment. After all, most of us know our images are pretty good, otherwise we might not even post. But it's the honest and intelligent input which makes this site more interesting and allows us all to grow as photographers. And at 71 years old, believe me, I'm still learning.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 04/04/18 at 7:57 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Well done, Mark.  A beautiful example of one of the things that make this site so great.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership