Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Snowing in the Woods
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 03/27/18 at 11:04 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Since it seems like it's "snowy woods" week, I though I add a contribution from last week's freezing rain, heavy wet snow event.  I went walking in the falling snow, exploring the narrow stretch of wooded creek that abuts our house in the MD suburbs of DC.  Here's a view along the creek, which is about 3 feet wide here.  (5D3, 24-105 f4 IS II @ 24 mm, 1/250s, f/11, iso 800, tripod)  I've posted below a slightly different view with the camera tilted up and a slower shutter, that feels quite different to me.  I'm curious what others think.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/27/18 at 11:05 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Here's the alternate view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/27/18 at 1:39 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Hello Mark.  I like the second image as the slower shutter gives the falling flakes some motion, there is a small crop off the bottom, and it also seems there is less contrast which gives the woods a softer, foggier mood.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/27/18 at 7:33 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Mark, This is really a nice winter scene. Nice composition with the small creek leading you back into the snowy woods that have me wanting to go there. I too like the second one for the very same reasons Doug mentioned. Nice work! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/28/18 at 10:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nice winter scene. Put me down for the second one, as well. The crop off the bottom makes it look cleaner. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 03/28/18 at 12:14 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Mark I prefer the second posting since it does a better job of showing off the trees, which I love. I also like that you captured the falling snow, and I might even consider a crop off the bottom just to emphasize the gorgeous snow covered rocks, branches and woods. A lovely, cold, wintry scene.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/28/18 at 12:57 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Yep, second version for me too Mark; nice!

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/29/18 at 08:11 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Mark, the cropping in the second image really tightens up this comp, and works very well. I'm really liking how those snowflakes pop against the dark water. It certainly has been crazy weather we've had in the northeast this March, but you came away with a nice image here.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/29/18 at 4:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

These are real nice, Mark. I also prefer the composition of the second version.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/29/18 at 10:00 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments
Comment last edited by Brian Schrayer on 03/29/18 at 10:02 pm EST

I like this scene, Mark.  In particular the falling snow contrasting with the stream is a small (in terms of pixels), but significant element in the image.  The composition works well for me as well.  The snow tends to simplify an otherwise busy scene.  I prefer the composition of the second image, but the faster shutter speed in the first. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/31/18 at 12:38 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

I like the softer, foggier feeling of the 2nd one.  Kinda weird, because I prefer the shutter speed of the 1st one, but that soft, deep feel back there in the woods that really pulls me in to the 2nd one.  Nice.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 04/12/18 at 12:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Second for sure. I like the motion of the snow and just love the whitened branches, something I seek out in every winter image with trees. 

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 04/12/18 at 7:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I prefer the 2nd image as well. I would suggested a crop that intersects the large boulder in the water and includes everything above it. The lower section holds less interest.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership