Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Through Thin Ice #6
Purchase Print
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 03/22/18 at 3:35 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 03/22/18 at 4:14 pm EST

One more look through the ice on my pond.  Yesterday's 6" of wet snow didn't make for nice ice, but it was a lovely storm to go out walking in (glad I didn't need to drive in it...).  This is a 24 shot stack.  For those who wonder, this many shots is needed because I'm shooting a long lens at a short working (6 - 9 feet, 2-3 meters) distance using an unextended tripod.  (5D3, 100-400 mm IS II @ 227 mm, 1/25 s, f/10, iso 800, tripod, polarizer, cable release and mirror lockup)  Needed to update the number to correlate with my web site...

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/22/18 at 5:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Wow, a 24 shot stack, you have way more patience than I do. With that said, I think this may be my favorite of your recent ice series. The arrangement of the colored elements here is wonderful, and I really like the diagonal flow to this image. This one seems to focus more on the colors than on the ice textures, and that works very well in this image. These are very unique and compelling shots Mark, I really enjoy seeing them.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/22/18 at 6:37 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

I really like the colorful, artistic figures below the ice here Mark.  I think this is a wall hanger.  The lines and textures of the ice itself are also very interesting.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/22/18 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Mark, These have all been really great images. I just love the colors, shapes and textures you are getting out of your pond. Each one seems to get better and better. Wonderful work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/23/18 at 09:10 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Outstanding abstract!!! I love the shapes, colors and textures. This ice series is killing it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/23/18 at 11:38 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Mark, you should take this entire series and print them great big. Great seeing and processing here. No nits or suggestions: this works wonderfully!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/23/18 at 11:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

I am thoroughly enjoying these colorful abstracts from your lily pond, Mark. I think these would make some lovely prints to hang on the wall. The arrangement of colors and details in thee large version is absolutely gorgeous. Great job with the stack.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/24/18 at 9:55 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Another excellent image in this series, Mark!  I like the ripples in the ice in this image.  I feel like I'm running out of things to say about them, but that doesn't mean that I enjoy them any less! 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 03/25/18 at 10:22 am EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments
Comment last edited by Norma Tareila Matl on 03/25/18 at 10:34 am EST

Mark, this is an amazing work of photography. Great technical clarity and skills to create a masterpiece!  I love abstracts and I love nature and finding this in nature is a slam dunk! Love it!!! It reminds me of the Picaso photograph painted in light. When Publo swirled his hand around holding a flashlight while he stood still just moving his arm the photographer photographed him created a picture in light.  I see movement yet I see stillness in this image both beautiful and the colors compliment each other. The oranges and the blues. frown

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/26/18 at 10:37 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

That is so neat!   This one seems even more abstract, and the colors are so bright, including the edges of the ice.  The patterns of the ice, combined with the colors underneath it, make for a great comp.  Hard to believe this is just an "as found" tableau.  Excellent job of finding and processing this.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 04/01/18 at 7:53 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

That is one outstanding abstract Mark. That belongs in a museum of modern art somewhere.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 04/04/18 at 3:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Absolutely stunning! 

On of the best images on NPN in a very (very) long time.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership