Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fractured
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 03/13/18 at 7:22 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I spent several evenings exploring these mud flats in Death Valley. They may look fragile but the ground here is as hard as concrete. It took me a lot of trial and error to start to begin to see patterns and appreciate how low I needed to position my lens.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L, single raw processed twice

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/13/18 at 8:53 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Very cool find with this one, Dave. Of course the clouds are fantastic and those cracks in the mud do a superb job of drawing me into the image toward the BG mountains. The large version is a must to really savor the details and textures in the mud flats. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/13/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Really good one, Dave. Great foreground detail and a whole lot of depth to the image, not to mention a nice sky. No suggestions here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 03/14/18 at 05:51 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Amazing foreground and very good composition, Dave.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/14/18 at 11:01 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Dave, I'm seeing a large lizard head in the foreground here. frown   Your emphasis on the mud cracks looks great here.  Glad you took the time to figure out how to show this off.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/15/18 at 2:53 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Dave, this is a really interesting composition.  I love the depth that you have captured with the composition here.  The detail in the scaly playa is really good.  I also really like the sky and mountains that help add to the dark mood.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/18 at 3:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, I like this alot!  The larger version is quite impressive to view with the beautiful soft light across the foreground and fantastic detail and texture. Excellent composition!! devil

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/15/18 at 10:49 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Nicely done, Dave.  The sweeping U-shaped line in the foreground pulls my eye immediately into the frame.  I like how the clouds form an upside down u-shape to compliment the foreground lines.  The longer I look at this I like the composition even more.  Not only do I see the corresponding u-shapes in the foreground and clouds, but there are also corresponding diagonal lines connecting the u-shapes to the corners of the frame if that makes sense. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/16/18 at 08:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Dave, fantastic image, it's very dramatic. I like the sort of cool white balance you used here, it adds a lot of mood to this scene. The amount of detail and texture in the large version is simply amazing. The time you spent evaluating this scene really paid off in a wonderful image.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/18/18 at 3:52 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

You got a really nice comp here!  This shape is kinda scary, like the head of a python, but it makes a really cool image.  Really graphic; this shows up even in the thumbnail. Nicely done.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jeffrey Sipress on 03/19/18 at 11:59 am EST    
Registered on 02/17/04, 236 Posts, 1197 Comments

Real nice image, Dave.  I know exactly where this is, as I spent a number of hours there myself.  You certainly found the right curves and camera placement for a well balanced and interesting comp.  I would consider brightening the foreground a bit.

Jeffrey Sipress, Santa Barbara, CA    

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jeffrey Sipress Gallery of Jeffrey Sipress

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership