Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Through Thin Ice #2
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 03/13/18 at 11:47 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

A stretch of warm weather in Feb. got my water lilies growing, but the series of storms has stopped them in their tracks and produced thin ice covers on my ponds every morning allowing me to exercise my ice abstract itch.  This is a 17 shot stack for dof.  (5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 300 mm, f/11, 1/15 s, iso 800, tripod and cable release)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Reno DiTullio on 03/13/18 at 12:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 130 Posts, 1644 Comments

WOW, Mark, very unusual but I like it...couldn't figure out the color until I read the description, well seen!

Reno - Salinas, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Reno DiTullio Gallery of Reno DiTullio

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/13/18 at 12:38 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is very cool. 17 shot stack, wow! That is a lot. Very unique image and very nicely done. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 03/13/18 at 1:49 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Outstanding!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/13/18 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

This is absolutely mind blowing Mark, very creative !!  The focus stacking produces such a crisp image, very nicely executed. Are those submerged leaves that are producing the color underneath the ice?

This is another image that reminds me of a painting. This is such an unique image, I love it !!!

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/13/18 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is sooo cool, Mark. Great shapes of color, and really nice textures. The reds look a tad over-saturated, but that is minor. Which direction did you do the stack: left to right, or bottom to top? In any event, you did a great job on this.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/13/18 at 7:08 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Intriguing and unique abstract. Just enough details come through the ice to create some mystery of whats underneath.  Processing looks good, although I'd crop a bit off the right where the vegetation is protruding along the edge of the frame.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 03/13/18 at 9:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Wow, this is another winner from the ponds, and a very unusual view through the ice. The colors and fan-shaped ice remind me of butterflies. The focus stacking really looks good with great sharpness front to back. Wonderful textures also.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/13/18 at 10:03 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Way cool, Mark. The colors are obvious in the smaller version, but when I opened the larger one they became even more prominent along with all those lovely details and textures in the ice. My only suggestion would be a little crop of the URC as it is a little soft and the rest of the image is tack sharp. Beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 03/14/18 at 05:51 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Love this type of abstract images, Mark. Here I find what I like most about reflected light on the ice: a nice pattern and beautiful colors.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 03/14/18 at 07:40 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

Craftsmanship Mark...beautiful and the story behind is even more interesting..

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 03/15/18 at 10:38 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Yikes, 17 is a lot of stacking. But obviously it worked very well. I've not seen psychedelic colors like this since the 60's.....blush
......looks like one of my old paisley shirts.

A wonderful and artful abstract here, Mark. You've had some really neat takes from your ponds over the years, this might be at the top of that list of fine images......laugh

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 03/15/18 at 2:56 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments
Comment last edited by Ed Williams on 03/15/18 at 2:59 pm EST

Really nice composition Mark. Even better light and color, and even better patterns, textures and details in the ice.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/18 at 3:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Mark, What can I say...Wow. Love this!! devil Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 03/15/18 at 9:09 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

I love the colors and texture of the shot! Great composition. Keep up the good work Mark! Ry

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/15/18 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

Mark, you have such a great eye for these kind of scenes.  I remember the images that you posted last year.  This one compliments your previous images well.  The bright colors and fascinating ice textures provide endless opportunities for composition.  I can see why you are drawn to scenes such as this. 

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 03/17/18 at 03:02 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Wow!!! That is so cool!!  
The color and shape and texture just seem to jump off the screen.  The large image really shines.
Excellent job on the stacking.  You did good on this!

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership