Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Forked Wash + repost
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 03/10/18 at 6:41 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 03/11/18 at 12:22 pm EST

Seasonal wash on the Death Valley playa. Compositionally, I would have preferred a more narrow wash including the outer banks in the foreground but it was not to be. Comments and suggestions appreciated.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L @ 16mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/10/18 at 8:54 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Not too shabby :) fun!

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/11/18 at 07:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great leading lines, color and reflection. I am not sure I am sold on the muddy looking banks, though, at least in terms of a wall hanger. You sure got some skies in DV, not a common thing. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 03/11/18 at 07:45 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Very striking fabulous shapes and lead lines with a stunning sky but I do sort of agree with Harley in respect of the unfortunate muckiness of the mud banks beside the fork it looks like a lot of other visitors have been there before you.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/11/18 at 11:45 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Great skies and comp.  Like the way the center mud divides the clouds at pretty much the right spot.  Nicely done.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/11/18 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Dave, I agree with the slight muddiness. Perhaps you could adjust the lighter tones in the foreground without touching the water and the reflections. The composition is real nice, and I especially like the background mountains and that great sky.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/11/18 at 12:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the input on the mud (salt flats). I went back and burned the banks down and increased the overall contrast a touch to try and direct the eye a bit more up the wash. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/11/18 at 12:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Repost is a real nice improvement. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/11/18 at 12:53 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Nicely done, Dave. I have this illusion of the central island being lower than the water, a sort of gully. It really affects the outlook on the image.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 03/11/18 at 1:05 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Much better, don't think I've seen this composition here before, the forked lead in works very well.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/11/18 at 2:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The repost is the ticket, Dave. The adjustments draw me nicely into the scene and toward the mountains and the drama in the sky. Great reflections, BTW.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 03/11/18 at 5:20 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like how the converging lines of the wash combine with the lines in the clouds to form an X. The light and color is beautiful and compliments the scene very nicely.  Beautiful work!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 03/11/18 at 5:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Dave, a really unusual scene that has a very high impact. i prefer the darker processing in the repost which makes the cloud reflections pop even more. You really had some good fortune with clouds on your DV trip, but you also came up with a creative way to take advantage of those conditions, outstanding image !!!

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 03/12/18 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Love the composition. Colors and reflection are great. They come together to make a very compelling picture. Keep up the good work Dave. Ry

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/13/18 at 11:28 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 03/13/18 at 11:29 am EST

The colors are great, Dave.  Your comp. works well also with that major pointer into the distance.  Very dramatic and very inviting.  I seem to be in a "brighter" mode as I find myself lightening many of my images in processing and preferring your original post here.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/18 at 3:47 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Beautiful work Dave! Both images work great for me but I might slightly lean towards the repost. You really did a nice job with this scene.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership