Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Rainy day Water Lily
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 03/05/18 at 10:54 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

One of the best results from a session last summer trying to catch raindrop rebounds around this purple water lily in my pond.  When large raindrops hit the pond, they cause a rebound like you see somewhat oof and behind the lily.  That rebound eventually spits out one or more drops that can be captured sharply with a relatively slow shutter speed, like the drops beside the lily.  (5D3, 180 mm macro L, 1/125 s, f/16, iso 3200, tripod and raincoats)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 03/05/18 at 11:54 am EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Interesting exercise, Mark. Can't remember where, but I recently saw a video on that very subject. Nice to have all the droplets on this beautiful bloom.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 03/05/18 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

The droplets are very nice.  I might drop the saturation on the flower...to my eyes, it appears a bit electric.crying

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 03/05/18 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

You caught a couple of good bounces in this single image, Mark, and the lily really adds to the image.  All the intersecting ripples are a subtle reminder of the other drops that we don't see.  Well done.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/06/18 at 12:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Fascinating image Mark.  It must've taken you multiple shots to create this.  I really like the color, the composition, and all the raindrops.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 03/06/18 at 12:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

Nice use of the DOF.  I don't think the color is unrealistic.  I've seen them this vivid.

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 03/07/18 at 2:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

That pond has more than earned its upkeep in so many great photos, including this one. It takes a lot of patience to get a shot like this, and the stunning lily flower makes a wonderful center of attention with all those raindrops surrounding it.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 03/07/18 at 3:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

You're quite the expert at these water drop images. Really like that one drop suspended in the air to the right of the flower.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership