Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Limestone step falls
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 03/03/18 at 4:35 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

While exploring the Nachez Trace Parkway near Nashville, I came across several waterfalls.  While I couldn't shoot this one completely because of a downed tree hanging over the top, I did find this comp. showing several of the steps and some nice colors in the moss, lichen and fallen leaves.  (5D3, 24-105 f4L @ 35 mm, 0.6s, f/13, iso 200, tripod and polarizer)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/03/18 at 6:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nice color an processing, Mark. I love the cascades. My only wish would be for more room on the right, but you may have been constrained. The shutter speed was perfect.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 03/04/18 at 12:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments

Very good look at this limestone waterfall.  I like the distribution of the water and you chose the perfect shutter speed.  I do think it would be interesting to see this as a landscape crop with more detail on the right side.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/04/18 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful study in flowing water and shutter speeds.  The lighting really accentuates the textures.  Makes me feel like spring is here.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/04/18 at 5:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great cascade! I would agree with the others that the comp feels a little on the tight side, but only you know what the constraints were. Nice capture of the falls. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/04/18 at 7:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

A really nice shot of this falls, Mark. You chose a nice shutter speed that gives a good feeling of motion. Looks like the light might have been a bit harsh but you did a nice job with it. Looks like a falls that would be fun to visit from time to time.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/04/18 at 8:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Good shutter speed and fine composition. I would try to not have the brighter areas of the image around the frame. Perhaps burn in the left frame bright areas.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/04/18 at 10:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Perfect SS for capturing detail in the water and the mosses are a wonderful addition to the scene, Mark. Although the light is starting to get a bit harsh I think it has helped bring out some details in the water. If may not have been possible, but did you get any images with a bit more on the right? This looks like a great place to go back to if possible.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/05/18 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

What a beautiful location.  Having not been there, I don't know the constraints but pretty clear you have a great capture of these cascades.  Agree with others on processing, shutter speed etc.  You managed the exposure very well considering there's direct light falling on the scene - and looks like softer later/early light.

Again, hard to say without having stood there, but I'm wondering about a crop that just includes the upper/right 2/3 and concentrates on the main cascade.  I do like this view, but agree with others that it makes it tight on the right.  The bright green moss on the left edge is a mild distraction, pulling the eye over.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/07/18 at 05:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

This has turned out so well Mark. The detail is outstanding and I love the color too. The falling water looks nice and delicate and provides a lovely overall flow to the composition.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 03/07/18 at 09:21 am EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

This is beautiful, Mark.  I too love the cascades and the wonderful colors.  I feel like I should be hearing the water falling!  It is like being there.

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership