Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Vanishing
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 02/27/18 at 10:51 am EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I spent several nights in Death Valley earlier this month shooting mud cracks, sand dunes and wash patterns. At Furnace Creek, the temperature was a balmy 92 on the day I shot this dried up wash. Fortunately the temps dropped into the high forties as night, making car camping bearable. Comments, suggestions appreciated.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L @ 16mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/27/18 at 11:36 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Everything works rather nicely in this scene, Dave. The sweeping curve of the dried up wash draws me into the image toward the hills and that lovely drama laden sky. When opening the large version I was greeted to all those patterns and textures in the dried up mud. Great work on this.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/27/18 at 12:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Wild sky to match the fascinating patterns in the mud.  The highlights in the mud give a real 3-D feel.  So 92 deg. in the winter there? Is the horizon tilted slighted CCW?  I realize that the range is probably angled at you so that may account for that.  Dif everything about it.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 02/27/18 at 2:16 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

My daughter-in-law uses the word "dang" sparingly and only when she really appreciates some thing. Seems like a good time to borrow that word: "Dang" this is one fine image!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Steve Thompson on 02/27/18 at 2:34 pm EST    
Registered on 08/07/14, 125 Posts, 2319 Comments

Everything about this image is very cool Dave. Well worth your time!

Steve Thompson
Andalusia, Illinois
"Quad Cities USA"

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Steve Thompson Gallery of Steve Thompson

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 02/27/18 at 3:33 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

That's some wonderful bronze color in the ground, Dave, and the cracked mud is exquisite. Excellent image, indeed devil

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 02/27/18 at 3:56 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

All the fun textures.  Very cool. :)

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 02/27/18 at 6:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Great light, color, sky and very 3D image. Excellent! No nits here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Wayne Jones on 02/27/18 at 9:34 pm EST    
Registered on 04/18/07, 953 Posts, 6435 Comments

So glad I looked at the large version;  it's like being there in person.  Reminds me of the Viewmaster 3-D images I marveled at as a kid.

Wayne Jones
Upstate New York

The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the composer; but when the last individual of a race of living beings breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be again. William Beebe, 1906

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Wayne Jones Gallery of Wayne Jones

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 02/27/18 at 10:48 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

That mud is off the charts... Looks like reptile plates.
Terrific light.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 02/28/18 at 8:30 pm EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

Yeah, viewed in the large image, the mud in the FG is awesome!  Like it's the scales on an animal that's very much alive, and getting ready to crawl away. Combine that with the fiery sky. Great image.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 03/01/18 at 08:49 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Dave, this is very well composed. I love the curving wash and how it points into the curve of clouds. Everything is thoughtfully placed. The sky is really beautiful, as is the reflected light on the foreground cracks. The only thing I suggest is to burn down or clone the small bright spot of mud near the right edge up toward the mountains, it pulls my eye a little bit.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/01/18 at 11:46 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The semicircle of clouds makes for a nice cap to the scene.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephanie Murphy on 03/01/18 at 5:01 pm EST    
Registered on 10/18/17, 24 Posts, 56 Comments

Death Valley never disappoints and your striking photo attests to that! It makes me yearn to return!

Stephanie Murphy
”Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known” (Reporter Sharon Begley in interview with Carl Sagan)

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephanie Murphy Gallery of Stephanie Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/01/18 at 5:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

My favorite aspect of this image is the luminosity of the dry river bed and how it's contained to this area. What's interesting is that because the mud is arched the light seems to be coming from behind the photographer. I guess that's the explanation for the peculiar light that should be coming from behind the mountains.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/01/18 at 6:11 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Wonderful work, Dave. I really enjoy looking at this and it is just so cool looking. The light and colors are wonderful and then that dried up mud is pretty amazing. The way it is curved up and catching the light makes it look even more impressive. Feels like I could reach down and pick up a chunk of it...cool The mountain range and beautiful clouds make for a perfect backdrop.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 03/01/18 at 6:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

All sorts of elements to enjoy on this image, but the lighting on the mud really gives this image its pop. Well crafted!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 03/02/18 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments
Comment last edited by Marylynne Diggs on 03/02/18 at 2:26 pm EST

Excellent image, Dave. I love the way the cloud and wash track follow a comparable trajectory.  The mud cracks are a study of their own (left looks cupped, right domed). I might be inclined to crop a tish of the left to get the arc aiming less toward the center, but I'm just looking for something to offer.  Realistically, no suggestions.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 03/07/18 at 05:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Love the drama portrayed in this photograph. You had some amazing atmospheric conditions and I love how you have chosen a composition to match it perfectly. A really strong image, Dave.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership