Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cobble Beach + repost
Photo posted by Ed Lowe in the Landscape gallery on 02/14/18 at 2:30 pm EST
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments
Post last edited by Ed Lowe on 02/15/18 at 3:21 pm EST

Nikon D700
Nikon 17-35 @ 17 mm
f 22 @ 0.4 sec.
ISO 200
Cobble Beach Acadia NP, ME

This spot is usually packed with photographers at sunrise, but this particular morning Mike and I had the place to ourselves. I guess the cloudy conditions kept everyone away. There was no color at sunrise, but the wave action was very nice so I captured some images with the intention of converting to B&W. I came away with four or five images that I really like.

As always thanks for taking a look and leaving a comment or suggestion.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 02/14/18 at 6:14 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

I didn't come away with anything this nice, Ed. Great wave action and smart move on the B&W. There's a lot of great drama in this shot which I feel could be even further enhanced if you burned the clouds in a little. I also like how you composed the shot with the rocks visible in the LRC and not submerged by the water.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 02/15/18 at 12:32 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The shutter speed looks good for the water flow.  Like the inclusion of boulders in the corner.  Wondering if you can pull out more detail in the water with contrast.  Considering conditions, I think you made the most of the scene and lighting.  Not sure if you have ever blended some exposure of slightly different shutter speeds to have options for rendering the water, but may be worth it.  Also, since I assume that you convert your color image for BW, it might be worth adjusting the colors so that when you convert you could have more details and textures to work with.  The color copy might not be that pleasing, but if you think a step ahead on how that will convert to BW it might make some difference.  If you already considered this, just ignore!sad

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 02/15/18 at 3:20 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Thanks for your thoughts Mike and Harry. Here is a repost with Mike's suggestion of darkening the sky a little for some more drama.

Harry: This is a single exposure. Thanks for the tip on adjusting the colors before conversion to B&W. I will play around with that and see if I can come up with some more texture in the water.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 02/15/18 at 6:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like the repost, Ed. The clouds look nice, but I can see them darker for more drama. You could also play around with mids contrast in the water and foreground rocks. Nicely composed.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 02/16/18 at 12:52 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Comment last edited by Mark Seaver on 02/16/18 at 12:55 pm EST

Ed, this looks good in b&w, with the fine wave action mimicking the textures in the clouds.  I also like the near/far action with the foreground rocks and the distant cliff.  The brightening of the land in the repost is a nice improvement.  I agree with Harry, that if you can get it, some more contrast in the water would add well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 02/16/18 at 5:50 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Ed, A great view and I like it in b&w. I think the sky could go darker still for even more drama. I agree that a little more contrast in the water might work nicely here. Worth a try...cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 02/16/18 at 7:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wonderful tone values and overall mood in this image. The overall composition, however, with the round boulders protruding in from the bottom right feels awkward. The fg doesn't integrate well into the overall image imo. Just my opinion, though.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 02/16/18 at 8:15 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

devil An excellent repost here, Ed. No other thoughts for changes for me, works very nicely.

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership