Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Fire and Ice #4
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 02/06/18 at 12:38 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

A day that ended with lots of freezing rain followed by a cold, sunny day gave me the opportunity to chase icicles on my Magnolia tree.  There were some amazing shaped icicles as the branches became loaded down.  This one was in a protected location so there's only a modest curve but I was attracted to the bubbles in the ice and the colorful background.  (5D3, 180mm macro L, 1/250 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 02/06/18 at 4:45 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Wow, what a great shot, Mark!  Such great detail and color.  I too love the bubbles, and those little sparkles add to it as well.  Well done. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 02/07/18 at 07:23 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

What really kicks this off is the starbursts Mark. The feel of the trapped air bubbles traveling down, makes this a fine piece of work .

Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 02/07/18 at 2:21 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

This is gorgeous Mark. I love the starbursts on the sides and the tiny bubbles. Looks like fine crystal, it is so transparent. Beautiful colors throughout.  Nice one.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/10/18 at 08:42 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Super picture Mark. Definitely love the colors in the sinuous lines of the icicle. Nice way to spend a cold day! Background absolutely complements the subject and sparkles are a nice plus. Only suggestion is that you might take out those two white areas at the top of the icicle. They look like a refraction of some kind.. Keep up the good work!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lucy VanSwearingen on 02/15/18 at 9:46 pm EST    
Registered on 05/23/09, 800 Posts, 2042 Comments

This is so awesome, that I could care less what it's dripping from.  devil  Love the bubbles and starbursts..and the BG is to die for...especially as seen through the ice.

Lucy VanSwearingen
Richmond, TX

There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man. ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lucy VanSwearingen Gallery of Lucy VanSwearingen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership