Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Contours and REPOST
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/26/18 at 1:36 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 01/27/18 at 7:14 pm EST

Another from Death Valley with Harley. I was attracted to this repeating horizontal ridges. Would have been nice to have some side lighting but did my best to bring out the textures and forms with local contrast adjustments. C&C appreciated.

Canon 5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/26/18 at 6:22 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Very nice, Dave. You got great sky against the colorful dunes, seems you handled the lighting well. I know what you mean about side lighting. I've found that Great Sand Dunes has been been a similar challenge, but I think you had enough of the light source to bring it out. If I had to nitpick, I would remove that bit of vegetation near bottom right edge. Thanks for sharing.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/26/18 at 9:21 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I am enjoying the warm tones, contours and lines flowing out to the sky. Real nice take on the dunes. I would lose the dark bush toward the LLC and maybe the plants along the bottom edge. . 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/27/18 at 12:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Really enjoying the golden colors here.  You've done a great job with the processing and enhancing the tones and contrasts.

The color contrast with the blue in the sky is a great inclusion - although for me it feels like the sky is just a little short.  I'm wondering if a crop off the bottom might work to allow the sky to become more relevant? (even though this is clearly about the dunes)  But it's not just a crop for that reason. I also was going to comment on the vegetation on the bottom edge and would agree with Harley on the dark plant LL.  In the end, I would rather have this as presented with a tad more sky.  If no more sky, a bit of a crop off the bottom.  YMMV.

Great color work from these DV dune images!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/27/18 at 12:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The dunes almost look like brush strokes--a good thing. I agree about the bushes, especially the dark one. This could use a bit more sky, but I like it as presented. The color looks real nice.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/27/18 at 1:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Another real nice take on DV, Dave. I think you nicely pushed the contrast within the limits. I like the shapes and contours, and the sky makes a pleasing color contrast. Well done.

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/27/18 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I find this to be a pleasing image. I would back off a bit on the dune saturation but that's a personal preference. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/27/18 at 7:14 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the helpful comments. This version has more sky (I had cropped down in the original) and cloned out some of the bushes in the lower left.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/27/18 at 10:49 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

You nailed it with the repost, Dave. The subdued lighting has brought out some beautiful undulations and color in the dunes in this scene. This has a nice combination of warm and cool colors. You and Harley really hit the mother lode on your trip. Awesome work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/28/18 at 4:02 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, I love the repost!! Fantastic work! devil Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/28/18 at 9:33 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

I definitely prefer the repost version, Dave.  The additional sky makes a big positive difference. I'm also glad you didn't remove all the bushes as well because they give a sense of scale to the image.  A very nice image.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 02/03/18 at 12:06 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Great composition Dave. Really love the silky lines and the muted colors of the dune. Very appealing picture. Keep up the good work

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership