Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Great Falls in Winter #1
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 01/20/18 at 2:46 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Our relatively cold temperatures have created some nice ice on the rocks in the Potomac.  Yesterday, I was able to combine some ice with high enough flow level to get enough mist for rainbows to show up.  While I enjoy the combination, finding compositions that I like from the limited area of the viewing platform is an ongoing challenge.  (5D3, 100-400mm IS II @ 300 mm, 1/5 s, f/16, iso 200, tripod, polarizer, ND filter and cable release)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 01/20/18 at 2:59 pm EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Really nice image, Mark, the rock in the sweet spot strongly anchors the view into the water and falls.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/20/18 at 3:59 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Excellent capture of the action and misty colors, Mark. Exposure looks right on for the bright conditions, and I like the ss. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/20/18 at 5:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

I guess the government isn't the only thing frozen on the Potomac this winter. Mark this is a very dynamic composition, I like how you composed it to have the flow reverse just above the big triangular rock, it really pulls your eye back and forth across this image. The two little cascades to the right of the rock are a nice accent to this image as well. Given how strong the water flow is, you did well to get the texture and definition in the water, nice job on the shutter speed. Nice work....

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/20/18 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Mark, I am really enjoying the bottom 70% or so of the image, very dynamic and engaging, but I find the top area kind of detracts from the rest. I think cloning the log would help some for me, but I might even play with a crop.  I seem to be on my own with that, and as usual, YMMV. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/20/18 at 9:27 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Very well done, Mark. Great Falls is on on my bucket list. Good choice of shutter speed to get some detail in the water. On the thumbnail it looked like a rainbow, but I see it's the color of the water.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/20/18 at 9:30 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I would crop off the top also. Crop to just above the falls.
Sweet color and SS.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/21/18 at 11:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

I like this a lot. The shutter speed was perfect for this and shows the different colors in the water. I do agree with the crop suggestion. However, the framing woks as it is, but you might consider cloning out the log. I like the little cascade on the right.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/21/18 at 11:29 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

A very nice image of the falls. I agree with Preston's suggestion: keep composition as is and clone out the log. Although, the shadow of the log without a log may be an issue to some.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 01/21/18 at 12:16 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Mark, lots of suggestions for changes, but that shows the ability also to find changes in a good image too. For me I would go with a lower bottom area pano sort of take. To me it is the most dynamic part of the scene. Crop down maybe to just above that smaller rock in the center area. The crop /clone/ CA of the branch and the shadow removal are what makes all the PS abilities shine of course.That rainbow in the lower cascade makes me even more positive on the thought for a pano of sorts in that area. 
With the larger FG rocks it might appear a bit heavy toward that side, but I think those are prominent items in the scene as presented now anyway.  

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/21/18 at 1:08 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yes, that log creates composition problems.  I agree with Igor, that the log cannot be cloned without also cloning it's shadow.  Leaving the shadow will have many viewers recognizing the cloning, which leads to them questioning what else in this view is a modification of what was actually there.  I believe that as a nature photographer it's important to show nature as it is, not as I wish it were (although I will clone some things readily).  The alternative with a major item, like this, is to burn or dodge to reduce it's visual impact.  Here's a version where that log has been burned-in significantly.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/21/18 at 2:04 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

This is excellent, Mark. Nicely balanced composition and beautiful mist-bow but I find that protruding log a distraction. I think I would experiment with cloning it out.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/21/18 at 4:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

The star attraction is of course the rainbow colors captured.  The environment that is producing the rainbow is dynamic and full of raw power.  The big rock and overflow cascades are great addition to the overall river scene.

I would agree with others about cropping some from the top to emphasize these features.  I didn't notice this until a second look at the larger view, but if you can you might want to content-aware clone out the forked branch in the ULC; it's mildly detracting.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 01/22/18 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

Mark I love the bits of ice and the amazing smooth roaring water in this one. The rainbow puts it over the top for me. I like the repost colors a bit better with the log toned down a bit. Beautiful.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/22/18 at 3:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

I appreciate and respect the idea that we should be photographing and presenting what was there, what we saw.  I think this is a great topic one could open in a discussion forum so I won't take this any further.... other than to say, once you enter and start calling your work "fine art" and if you were to print this as a fine art wall hanger, personally I wouldn't want the log there.

Disregarding anything I just said, I did want to point out something that is missing regarding the log and its shadow.  Who's to say or know if a projected shadow in the frame didn't originate from an object outside the frame??  It's perfectly logical that the log could have been outside the frame and still cast a shadow, right?  I know I'm really nitpicky with a lot of my comments, cropping here, cloning there, etc. etc., but to be perfectly honest, on first pass, I never really noticed the log.  Upon multiple passes I never once paid attention to the shadow, until it was mentioned.

Just my not so humble opinion, I think not cloning it for ethical reasons (ie. it was there, so it belongs) is a stronger argument than whether or not the shadow should be considered - or even noticed...  Again, it's very plausible that the shadow was cast from outside the frame; the main issue is that YOU know it wasn't... angel enlightened

Just a thought.

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership