Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Sand Castle ALT +2
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/18/18 at 11:34 am EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 01/18/18 at 4:52 pm EST

Another from my time at the dunes with Harley. C&C appreciated. 

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/18/18 at 11:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Wonderful light and beautiful color in the sky, Dave. The dunes appear to need a touch more contrast to bring out more texture there. I love the shapes and the curves.

You and Harley had some truly epic light and clouds during your trip to DV!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/18/18 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This one isn't working for me, Dave. The sky is wonderful and the composition is strong. However, these dunes come to life with sunlight, even just around the edges. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/18/18 at 2:11 pm EST    

Preston, Igor,
Thanks for the helpful critique. I raised the blacks and increased the contrast in the dunes. It is a bit more "stylized" rendition but I think I prefer this version.

Dave Dillemuth

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/18/18 at 3:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent shapes and great sky. I like the direction of the repost, but for my money, I would take it even further to get more contrast on the dunes. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/18/18 at 4:13 pm EST    

I like the direction of the repost, but for my money, I would take it even further to get more contrast on the dunes. 

Yep. Dave, if you use TK's masks, try using one of the more restrictive mid-tones masks. Be sure to 'paint' out the sky in the mask--it looks great.
--P 

Preston Birdwell

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/18/18 at 4:51 pm EST    

Preston, Harley,
Thanks for very helpful suggestions. It's interesting that I didn't perceive the weak contrast until you pointed it out. I added a TK mid-tone adjustment with the sky masked as suggested. 
How is this... not enough, too far?

Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/18/18 at 5:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

The second repost works for me. Much more depth to my eye.  thumbs up here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 01/18/18 at 5:12 pm EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

A gorgeous picture Dave.  Love the soft light.  I am keenest on your second image.  I think that is perhaps a tad colourful but the contrast seems just right.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/18/18 at 5:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/18/18 at 5:25 pm EST

You're a miracle worker, Dave. Both reposts look better than original. I may like the 1st repost more but it's a matter of taste now. How much contrast do you like? The colors are stronger in the 2nd, to match that sky. Yeah, I guess the 2nd is better. 

You could fade the sky reds a bit in the 1st repost to match the mellow mood of the dunes. I like the 1st repost because it doesn't have the 'scream factor' of the other one. But it's a personal preference. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/18/18 at 5:42 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, I like the first repost best... It is just right for my taste. Beautiful image and work!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 01/18/18 at 6:08 pm EST    

Repost #2 looks much better. You were able to pull some texture that, as Harley says, adds to the depth.

Thanks for taking the time to do the tweaks, Dave.
--P

Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/18/18 at 8:16 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

I like the first repost best. 
Amazing work, simply beautiful...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 01/18/18 at 8:46 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Gorgeous scene with a strong/powerful comp. I think I lean toward the last repost. But the first one is nice too. The added contrast does seem to give it more interest or presence. Nice!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 01/19/18 at 02:05 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Good work with the reposts.  Definitely more dynamic and 3d.   Gotta love dunes!

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/19/18 at 09:04 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Hard to pick a favorite, but I am leaning toward the last repost, Dave. The shapes and lines are just fantastic as are the colors in this landscape. I think the added contrast has given the image just a little pop and created some lovely textures. Beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/19/18 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Beautiful scene, great curves and your reposts do the trick to brig the dunes alive. The 2nd post is my favorite.  Some sky!  Big dust spot near the center in the dune.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/19/18 at 6:36 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I second what everyone has said about this image. Great image. I think I like the second one best. I have been enjoying you images from the dunes at Death Valley.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/20/18 at 2:17 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The dunes look great, Dave, and the sky is awesome.  I was about to suggest some more contrast in the dunes, but I see you've taken care of that in the reposts.  The extra gold in the final repost looks good also.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/21/18 at 2:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

A beautiful dune image.  Love the colors and soft light.  And because of that I almost prefer the original, although the first repost I think is best. The 2nd one goes to far I think and the processing no longer matches the soft, subtle and gentleness of the colors and contrast.

I don't know if this has been mentioned, but more than any color or contrast, I'm wishing for a bit more room all the way around, but mostly along the bottom.  While the sweeping curve along the bottom is key to the composition, I'm just wishing for a little more room at the bottom.  It's such a grand and beautiful scene, I'm wishing it was more expansive... but then I suspect there were constraints that you didn't want to include.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/21/18 at 4:41 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: Just a wonderful scene and fabulous light. I appreciate your processing efforts and think I prefer the first repost. I love shooting dunes and you guys are making me want to head that way or to Great Sand Dunes NP in the near future. Marvelous image.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/24/18 at 11:18 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Late to the party here, but I think it's a beautiful composition and I prefer the third iteration best.  Looks like you and Harley had a great time!

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership