Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cloaked in Red
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/15/18 at 8:22 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 01/28/18 at 5:45 pm EST

Fiery sunset from my first night shooting the dunes with Harley. This is a 2 exposure blend processed in Lightroom and Photoshop CC. Suggestions, critiques, comments appreciated. Better viewed large on a dark background.

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/15/18 at 9:07 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

You all are killing with these...
Invite me to the next photo get together if I can get light like this.....
Really nice as is but maybe a version with the sky toned down and muted a bit and the FG lightened just a bit more.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/15/18 at 9:23 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful, Dave. Looks like you were out of breath from running back to the dunes? sad  I might bring up the highlights on the dunes just a bit and see what you think. Great sky and sweet scene.

Where was that lazy old guy when you were in this spot? Taking a nap in his chair back at camp?

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/15/18 at 9:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Amazing light, Dave. The larger view opens up  nicely. Well captured and processed. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/16/18 at 07:12 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Looks like you guys had a lot of great opportunities at DV, and you made the most of it as well !!!

The light here is lovely, i especially like the light falling on the dunes in the LLC, it's subtle but beautiful. I agree with Dan that the foreground might benefit from a slight increase in exposure, perhaps by making local dodging to just the highlighted areas of the dunes in the bottom third of the image.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/16/18 at 07:23 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Pretty incredible lighting and subject, you hit it just right.  My observations, which are more of a personal taste that anything wrong with the image.  The far mnts look too magenta to me, maybe desat or reduce magenta there.  I realize the sky may be impacting the lighting here though.  Also, would have tried to move a couple steps to the left to try and place the tip of the high dune in a dark area of the mnts., looks to be intersecting the notch in the mnts.  The lighting on the dunes is so perfect.  Never have photographed dunes like this, maybe March would be a good time?

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/16/18 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Oh my, what soft light and beautiful pastels in the dunes.  The sky is pretty intense, but you did a great job in balancing the exposures.

As dynamic and gorgeous as the sky/clouds are, for me this is all about the dunes.  and to that, a slight crop from the top would emphasize the dunes even more.  Much like the comments for some of ice images from the two Ed's recently.  Regardless, this is quite impactful as presented.

Now doubt Mr. H. was ready for a nightcap by this time. sad

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/16/18 at 1:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

This is a real fine image, Dave. The sky is dominating the scene and that's good. You might try desaturating it a bit but I suspect it will lead to a blah image. I like it just the way it is. Nobody mentioned those rocks. I would clone out the 2 largest ones.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/16/18 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is spectacular, Dave. That red sky is gorgeous, but what I find particularly striking is the warm glow on the dunes. It sets up the whole scene for me and helps accentuate the three different layers in this image. This is just a suggestion of course, but what do you think of a crop of about one quarter of the sky to get rid of that lighter area in the URC? I think that would elevate this beauty another notch and emphasize the sky even more. Either way this is a winner.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/16/18 at 5:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, The larger detailed view is wonderful. Excellent work as it is for me. I like that you didn't put the higher dune peak above the horizon line...Good planning with the comp! cool Beautiful.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Neale Dyster on 01/16/18 at 6:11 pm EST    
Registered on 02/19/08, 94 Posts, 738 Comments

Love it ! Beautiful light and composition. Enjoyed the foreground detail when viewed large.
I wouldn't change a thing personally.

Neale Dyster
Australia

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Neale Dyster Gallery of Neale Dyster

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 01/17/18 at 10:44 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

How the sands reflect the red sky is nice, especially in the lower left quarter.  There is a tiny dark triangle near the bottom of the left edge that might be cloned out.  The relative brightness of sky to dunes looks natural.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 01/18/18 at 8:55 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Very compelling image, Dave. The layering is sweet! 

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Chris Chamberlain on 01/18/18 at 9:29 pm EST    
Registered on 03/13/07, 500 Posts, 8365 Comments

Yeah, the red sky is nice. Something we all hope to get. But the dunes and that soft light are incredible. My only tiny nit is the tip of the large dune touching the distant ridge line. Really nice!

Chris Chamberlain
Vacaville, CA. 95688

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Chris Chamberlain Gallery of Chris Chamberlain

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 01/24/18 at 01:30 am EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

The foreground light is stunning Dave.  The red sky is icing on the cake.  Beautiful.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership