Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Evening Solitude + ALTERNATE
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 01/12/18 at 11:27 am EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 01/13/18 at 3:23 pm EST

An image captured while shooting the dunes for a couple of days with Harley last week. As Harley mentioned, the cloud gods were kind and we had some exceptionally good light.

5DSR, 16-35 f/34 IS L, .75 GND, blend of two exposures to mage the dynamic range 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/12/18 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The cloud gods were nice indeed. This is gorgeous, Dave. The warm lighting is outstanding and I love those diagonal ripples in the sand. Of course the sky is killer and those bird tracks are a wonderful additional element to the scene. Great work.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/12/18 at 1:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is sweet, Dave! Great perspective with the dune lines heading into the scene and lots of depth heading out to the great sky (viewed from afar by a lazy old guy). No suggestions here, most enjoyable. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 01/12/18 at 2:28 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This is some very nice work! The detailed version looks fantastic to me. Super job capturing this wonderful scene and these conditions.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 01/12/18 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Dave, you've brought the gentle gold in the dunes and in the sky together beautifully here.  I think I can count the grains of sand near the bottom in the larger view.  That's amazing sharpness and detail.  The shrub and the critter tracks show well and add interest in the larger view.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 01/12/18 at 4:21 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

Fabulous colors in this, Dave.  Sweet light indeed.  The diagonal ripples leading to the bush, with its shadow, and the distant dunes and light pushing me back up and to the right make this a very pleasing composition. Exposure blend looks great. 
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 01/12/18 at 5:52 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

A wild sky reflected some nice light on those dunes. Good job keeping the top of the bush from running into the background . The cloud gods were on your side indeed. Beauty.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 01/12/18 at 7:28 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

Dave, you've got a real gem here. I love the angle of the backlight to accentuate the ripples in the sand. The radial patterns of the sand is wonderful. The animal tracks really spark my curiosity.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 01/12/18 at 8:36 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Now that is some sweet light you had...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 01/12/18 at 10:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: frownfrownOOOOOOoooooooo!, or something like that came out of my mouth when the larger version opened. Spectacular light throughout the frame. I especially like the little touch of the tracks which gives this a bit more life. Superbly crafted image.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/13/18 at 2:17 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

I love everything about this, the light, the color, the patterns in the dune, the little tracks and of course the amazing nature story of this plant in the middle of the dune.  Love everything... but not crazy about the composition.  I think not unlike some of the recent ice/shore images, it's difficult to include everything, from a terrific sky, to a compelling dune image (or ice formations..)  I think you actually did the best you could in terms of composing - while choosing to include all these elements.  I'm also betting that you may have tried to isolate the plant and the classic, but beautiful ripple patterns in the sand?

Looking forward to more from you and Harley from this quick trip to DV

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 01/13/18 at 3:23 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Lon, Thanks for the candid feedback.

Curious if a landscape orientation is preferred where the bush is a bit less prominent. . 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/13/18 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Nailed it with the repost. I really like the landscape view. It gives a better sense of space, depth and vastness. I like the other one, but like this a whole lot more. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/13/18 at 8:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Yeah, what Harley said on the repost. :-)  While the original is slightly more dramatic and a tad more contrast, the landscape view is just more "comfortable" and matches the gentleness of the dunes.  I like how the sky/clouds can kind of spread out in this view.

Thanks for putting up this view.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 01/14/18 at 11:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful image, Dave. I like both orientations, but prefer the original vertical. In a perfect world, I would have preferred the bush to be placed on the left of the foreground, so it is leaning in, but nature does not always cooperate, and I realize a comp with the bush on the left may have overall not worked as well. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/14/18 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments
Comment last edited by Igor Doncov on 01/14/18 at 11:58 am EST

The lighting and colors are fantastic. I like both versions but probably the repost a bit more. I agree with Scotts observations about the plant's location and direction. It's not a deal-breaker though. Actually, that is minor thing that shouldn't be overstressed imo. The image looks really good.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 01/15/18 at 06:57 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

What a colorful scene, Dave. Hard to choose the best. In the first I like a lot the sand's drawings in the very foreground. They give much a sense of being there. While in the repost the bush is better positioned. Sorry for not being of any help :)

Mattia

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 01/15/18 at 12:26 pm EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

Love the light and color in this, Dave.  As for favored compositions, I definitely prefer the second one, the horizontal image. It still shows the fine detail of the sand ripples and the great color, but it also introduces a sense of vastness to the scene.  It makes me want to search and explore the image beyond just the bush.  The bush is a nice element but in the vertical it's kind of a solo show, but in the horizontal, it's just one of many elements in a much stronger image.  Just my .02, of course.  Truly beautiful capture.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Barry Ashenhurst on 05/26/18 at 01:10 am EST    
Registered on 08/04/09, 253 Posts, 455 Comments

Sweet, Dave. I like it.

ARTIST'S STATEMENT: Wow, that's great! What is it?

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Barry Ashenhurst Gallery of Barry Ashenhurst

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership