Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Frosted Snags
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 01/06/18 at 3:43 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

One of the winter time beauties of the Mammoth Hot Springs area is all of the frost that collects on the trees.  This was taken on Nov. 7, which most of us wouldn't consider as winter, but the overnight low was -4 F so there was lots of frost.  (5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 143 mm, f/13, 1/200 s, iso 200, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Philip Hodgkins on 01/06/18 at 4:05 pm EST    
Registered on 07/24/06, 2741 Posts, 12349 Comments

A cold and beautiful vision. I assume the fog/steam is from the Springs?

Phil Hodgkins
Savannah, Georgia
NPN # 1998
Flora Gallery Co-moderator

“The task is...not so much to see what no one has yet seen; but to think what nobody has yet thought, about that which everybody sees.”
― Erwin Schrödinger

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Philip Hodgkins Gallery of Philip Hodgkins

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 01/06/18 at 4:37 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Wonderful winter scene. Love it.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 01/06/18 at 5:09 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

The frost on the trees stands out beautifully against the bluebird sky, Mark. The steam is a nice touch and I like that you were able to capture some nice detail in the snow. My only suggestion would be to try and tone down the patch of snow just a touch on the ice formation toward the LLC. I bet the cold kept the crowds away.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 01/06/18 at 7:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like the perspective here of looking upwards at these trees.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 01/07/18 at 12:27 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Mark,

A very chilly, but bright picture.  As Ed stated, you may want to tone down that bright area in the llc.  Other than that, comp is fine and having the blue sky out with lots of light adds some crispness to the scene...................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 01/07/18 at 1:55 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful frosty cold scene. No nits here, looks great to me. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 01/07/18 at 3:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

I must say this is the most beautiful blue sky I've seen on the web... perfect, crystal clear blue sky.  and to have the pure white frost against it, just beautiful.  Beautifully processed. No nits here. Oh, I suppose you could tone down the bright spot in the LLC, but that's minor.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 01/07/18 at 6:10 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

I am a sucker for winter images, especially with the deep blue skies. Nice photo.

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 01/08/18 at 2:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Mark, simply a gorgeous winter image, the contrast of the hoarfrost against the blue sky is wonderful. While the frosty tree is a very high impact subject, what really makes this image work for me is what's going on in the lower right corner. The blowing clouds and the little frosty tree in the lower right add so much much to this image, and really pull the composition together. Minus 4 degrees in November also deserves some extra credit for being out there to get this one.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership