Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Surfactant refraction
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 12/18/17 at 10:20 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 12/20/17 at 10:12 am EST

The combination of clay soil and lots of decaying leaves here in Maryland creates a natural surfactant.  In this case an ephemeral wetland area in a local wildlife sanctuary showed some amazing colors in the winter sunshine.  Finding an area showing good colors and little or no blocking or interfering growth proved quite a challenge.  For this view, I only had to clone out one small branch that stuck about 1/4th of the way into the frame.  This is the first posting of this view, but it is a favorite because of the somewhat unusual circumstances that it takes to create this much surfactant.  (5D3, 70-200 f2.8 @ 153 mm, f/11, 1/80 s, iso 200, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/18/17 at 11:21 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Mark, a really neat find here. I like the variety of colors in the “surfactant”? I can’t say I’ve ever heard this term before, but have seen a few similar posts with this naturally occurring phenomenon. The reflective overhead light makes it seem even a bit creepier like the black lagoon so to speak......frown
Did you take any with a polarizer to see how those looked?.....just curious on the effect there.....enlightened

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Norma Tareila Matl on 12/18/17 at 12:07 pm EST    
Registered on 10/27/16, 229 Posts, 393 Comments

Mark, what a magnificent natural creation of color and textures and light at just the right moment in time. The way the light moves down vertically adds to the interesting composition. We are so lucky to have cameras as tools to capture such reality. This is one of my favorites too.... great one! I would have thought an oil slick.  Amazing how nature can trick us, nice visual.  

Norma Tareila-Matley
Tewksbury, MA
Rangeley, ME

“Photograph: a picture painted by light.”— Pablo Picasso

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Norma Tareila Matl Gallery of Norma Tareila Matl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 12/18/17 at 1:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

I love the tree shadows adding another layer of complexity to this one. The colors and swirls are wonderful, and the framing on the top works well. I can foresee some other wonderful abstracts from this pond, especially in the lower right corner.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/19/17 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Paul, while I don't remember if this used a polarizer, my expectation is that the suppression of reflections that a polarizer does so well would probably reduce the colors significantly.  We'll see if this reappears in the next couple of months, then I can be sure about the polarizer's performance.  Right now, we're very dry so there's no water at this location.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 12/19/17 at 11:34 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments

Right now, we're very dry so there's no water at this location.......

Mark, understood about the polarizer usage. I'm thinking the same on the color reduction as well as any glare. As stated, I thought the glare actually adds to this scene wth a bit more creepy factor. Meaning a good thing......sad

btw: if you want to see REALLY dry, come to So Cal sometime. We've not had one drop of rain this year so far.......cheeky

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 12/19/17 at 6:08 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Comment last edited by David Schoen on 12/19/17 at 6:08 pm EST

Wonderfully abstract and diffractive.  Pretty amazing that you could find and see this.  Reminds me of images people find an oil slick's.  Well seen and put together.  Oh yes I noted that Norma had the same idea after I made my comment.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 12/22/17 at 11:09 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

I like the way the reflected trees add a layer to the cool patterns and colours. I would be tempted to clone out some of that debris in the right bottom corner.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 12/22/17 at 4:45 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

A very cool image, Mark.  The colors are awesome.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 12/30/17 at 10:51 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Never saw anything like this, Mark. A very interesting, colorful and unique image. I especially like the swirling, zig-zag pattern in the foreground.

Have a great 2018! 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Balan Vinod on 01/09/18 at 05:35 am EST    
Registered on 03/20/06, 889 Posts, 2312 Comments

A new term for me as well, and a fine find...Beautifully crafted..
Balan Vinod

Balan Vinod
http://balanvinod.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Balan Vinod Gallery of Balan Vinod

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 03/22/18 at 09:42 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Mark: What a terrific find and a marvelous capture. Most excellent! >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership