Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Mammoth: from the top
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 12/05/17 at 3:37 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yellowstone got lots of early snow this year and some major cold, so I had several opportunities to explore the northern sections under snowy conditions.  Here's a cold morning (below zero Farenheit) look at the mix of hot water terracettes, snow, mist and mountains from the boardwalk overlooking the Grassy Spring runoff at Mammoth Hot Springs.  (5D3, 24-70 f2.8 @ 40mm, f/16, 1/125s, iso 200, tripod and polarizer)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 12/05/17 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

These keep getting better and better. There are many reasons to like this but my biggest is how the hot water ledges mimic the branches of the tree. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/05/17 at 5:04 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Mark, Nice work setting up this comp! I like all the different ledges and shapes and how they are catching the light. The tree snags and snow really add to this and make for a very interesting combination of elements. A cool shot very well done! cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/05/17 at 5:31 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

Even though the original here shines here, viewing the large view is a must.  In fact I couldn't really picture Igor's observation of the ledges mimicing the tree branches, but it's clearer to me in the larger view - actually the terrace ledges could be seen as inverted branches.

The golden browns of the terrace faces contrast beautifully with the snowy landscape; almost like ribbons of gold. Great dynamics with the passing storm on the right and the still visible blue sky on the left.

Beautifully captured and composed.  No nits or suggestions.  I can just feel the crispness of the air.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 12/05/17 at 6:29 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

This is such a sweet shot Mark. Love the golds and the lines of the terrace and the trees and the snow is really the icing on the cake.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/05/17 at 11:13 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Very nice, Mark.  I really like the leading lines of gold, the snag, and the layer of snow.  This could make a sweet B/W.  Waaay tooo cold for me however.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 12/06/17 at 07:14 am EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

This is a really cool image (literally and figuratively) Mark. Another reminder of what a special area Yellowstone is!

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 12/06/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Igor, I hadn't made the connection between the shape of the terraces leading to that first tree and it's branches until you pointed it out.  Now that I recognize that relationship, I wonder if subconsciously I was noticing it, because this was my favorite view out of 5 subtly different takes.

Lon, the "storm" is the mist cloud blowing off of Canary Spring, one of the challenges was to get the wind right for some mist but not let it obscure the foreground or the distant peaks.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/06/17 at 7:46 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The warm terrace in combo with the white snow.  Does feel cold despite the terrace colors.  Really well compose, I'm sure you were constrained by where you could set up on the boardwalk.  From a comp standpoint, I think I might have moved a step or 2 to the left and place the far right tree a little more in the cloud corner to reveal a little more of the mountain if possible, but a very minor change to what is already a solid shot.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/06/17 at 10:18 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

Mark, this is one of the most satisfying images of the Mammoth Hot Springs that I have seen.  Love the variety of elements in this one, including the snowy peaks behind the clouds, the dead? tree, and the liquid vs. frozen terracettes.  Good use of the polarizer as well.  I lived in Wyoming for a number of years in the '70's and 80's, and remember vividly the intense cold.  I can even remember when 0 degrees f., represented a warm spell.  By the way, I don't miss it!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 12/07/17 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This image has a wonderful stark beauty to it that is very appealing, Mark. The hot springs look as though they are trying to stave off the approaching cold and snow of winter and I love the way the tiers of the springs are mimicking the limbs of the tree. The large version is a must see.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/07/17 at 10:22 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Mark, this image is really nice, warm and cool at the same time (literally). Mammoth Hot Springs is not always an easy place to photograph, but this is a marvelous job. I really like how you used the terraces to pull your eye from left to right, it creates such a sense of depth in this image. My only nitpick would be to burn the very bright snow in the upper left corner just a small bit, to balance it a little with the tonality of the snow on the right side. If you do that I think it would make the tree standout even more.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership