Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Dune Layers
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 12/02/17 at 8:23 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I have been unable to get into the field for a couple of months and going a bit stir crazy. However, one benefit is that I have finally been able to dig through all my raw files from 2017. This image is from sunrise at Mesquite Dunes in Death Valley. I was fortunate to have a storm come through the day I arrived which wiped away all the footprints.  

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 200mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 12/03/17 at 08:26 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Gorgeous lighting on those dunes. Never seen dunes like these, some day!  Comp looks great,  not much I could suggest here. I'm sure there were tighter comps you were able to get as well. Can't wait to see them.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 12/03/17 at 10:57 am EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Dave,

This is a stunning image. The light here is spectacular, and your natural looking processing has done a wonderful job of bringing out the richness of the light. This is another image that has so many alternate crops or "scenes within a scene", it will be interesting to what you come up with. A small crop off the left would place even more emphasis on all the goodness to the right. I suspect  some will suggest a B&W treatment here too, but for me the warm, rich light begs for this shot to be in color.

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 12/03/17 at 11:38 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The light and curves are terrific and the dunes look pristine!
I sort of wish that they went off in to the distance to the top of the photo...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 12/03/17 at 11:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful light, shapes, color and depth. No suggestions here, real sweet!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/03/17 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Classic DV dunes image.  The light of course creates all kinds of interesting shapes, shadows, lines, etc. There is so much to explore here.  A couple of specific things that stand out for me.  The first is including space up top to give this some depth and sense of place.  Of course as others have mentioned there are plenty of alternative crops that might exclude the top, but as a big-picture landscape, I like that you included the top.  The second thing are all the neat patterns created from the previous nights storm that washed away the prints; in the process creating some nice texture and wet/dry patterns in the dunes.

No suggestions from me. Well done!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 12/03/17 at 5:10 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Sweet image with nice lines, tones, and dimension!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Hansen on 12/03/17 at 5:27 pm EST    
Registered on 05/05/11, 161 Posts, 908 Comments

At first, I wasn't sure about the inclusion of the upper portion of this image, because it is so different than the larger foreground dunes.  Looked again, and it seemed to fit just wonderfully, and I am glad it was included.  Beautiful light - beautiful image.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Hansen Gallery of Jim Hansen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 12/03/17 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: One of my favorite places on the planet. I love working dunes and this one is excellent, especially the light and shadow play. Marvelous capture of a wonderful moment.>=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/04/17 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

I'm really enjoying the layers in this. Big, golden dunes in the front, small, whiter ones in the mid-ground, and the darker background. I like the inclusion of the top.

There are a few specks that I would clean up: up top just right of center, a bright one URC, and a dark one right on the edge just over halfway up the right edge.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 12/05/17 at 2:29 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, Excellent work capturing this image. This composition looks and works great and it is wonderful use of light and shadow. The natural tones are very pleasing and the smooth textures are just fantastic. Love this!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 12/06/17 at 12:48 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like the inclusion of the background layer.  You see alot of dune images that are more abstract.  I have the same problem with badland images,  how much background to include or not at all.  I love the early morning light, beautifully done, Dave.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership