Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Granite Jigsaw + Comment
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/29/17 at 9:08 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 11/30/17 at 8:51 pm EST

I sync'd this backcountry trip with the full moon setting over the Sierra crest at sunrise. Unfortunately, as they often do, the clouds did not cooperate. While the sky holds no drama this image best represents what summer in the High Sierra means to me. Double raw conversion to maintain proper exposure on the moon.

5DSr, 16-35 f/4 IS L, .75 GND   
28mm, f/14, 1/5 sec, ISO100

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 10:27 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Another sweet Sierra image, Dave.  The glow of the crest and it's reflection are beautiful.  The only thing that I can suggest would be to desaturate the smattering of glow on the granite mid frame left.  I love how the fore boulder fits into it's slot.  Nice work.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/29/17 at 11:00 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Another lovely image of the high Sierras, and I do like the jigsaw effect of the rock in the tarn in the lower right. The moon adds another dimension to an already great scene, the light is beautiful, and I like looking under the water. Although the moon and its reflection are very centered, there is enough going on around it that I don't think it matters. Kudos to you for carrying all your heavy equipment up those steep trails to make such gorgeous, artistic images.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Henke on 11/29/17 at 11:07 pm EST    
Registered on 02/20/12, 117 Posts, 285 Comments

Sweet light, Dave. Actually, in my humble opinion, a bluebird sky goes best with an image like this that has so many other interesting elements.
Cheers!

Ken Henke
Wellington, CO
http://www.henkeimagery.com

All Photos and Comments by Ken Henke

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/30/17 at 02:58 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The oranges are pretty saturated but that's how it looks at that time of day. That's why you chose to shoot at this time. The beautiful granite is perfectly rendered with just enough exposure to show it's beauty and still look believably in a shadow. I'll be in the minority and say the moon and it's reflection don't do much for me. The fg rock fits so well in that slot that I would give it greater recognition. I would crop the sky out and crop off to the right of the rock. The lowest dip in the sky would have to be cloned out. IMO that would be a stronger composition.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/30/17 at 09:24 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

The moon and reflection look good in this one, maybe because it is centered.
I like how the boulder jugsaws with the reflection.
Colors look realistic to me.
Another nice one.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/30/17 at 11:24 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The near perfect reflections and the late light work their magic here very well, Dave.  The moon is a fine addition as is seeing through the clear water.  This looks great even without colored clouds.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/30/17 at 11:56 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Another high country beauty. I am with Igor about the moon reflection, more of a distraction for me than an enhancement, but we seem to be in the minority. Minor stuff though, really well done. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed McGuirk on 11/30/17 at 1:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/29/17, 19 Posts, 260 Comments

Dave - perfect composition here, just the right amount of sky. I vote for including the moon and it's reflection, it's a nice finishing touch. I really like how  you composed this to have the rocks on the left and snowbank along the shore pull your eye into the center of the frame, it provides a nice compositional balance against the jigsaw puzzle rock on the right side. Wonderful job of post-processing here, the exposure is perfectly balanced, and the saturation in the reds is nicely controlled

Ed McGuirk
Wellesley Hills, Massachusetts
www.edmcguirkphoto.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed McGuirk Gallery of Ed McGuirk

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/30/17 at 4:56 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Jigsaw indeed. Good work on the placement and clarity.  The FG boulder looks too warm in general compared to the surrounding rock, though I do see some hints of orange in the far outcropping.  Maybe cool the color balance to match the surroundings, maybe desat a tad.  Is summer here yet? sad

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/30/17 at 8:32 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments
Comment last edited by Craig Moreau on 11/30/17 at 8:33 pm EST

Dave, you captured a beautiful summer Sierra scene here. The blue sky works well here, as it contrasts nicely with the fiery orange granite. I love the placement of the foreground rock.

I like the moon and reflection in the image. I mentioned this on your Twilight's Embrace post, but here too the moon and its reflection don't line up vertically. I pulled a screenshot into PS and aligned them, which also made the image look more like it was "level", but I only noticed that after aligning the moon.

So, my question for all you NPN'ers is this: should the moon (or anything, for that matter), be directly above it's corresponding reflection? My feeling is yes, and that's why I mention it, but am I thinking correctly?

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/30/17 at 8:51 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Comment last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 11/30/17 at 8:52 pm EST

Thanks all for the insightful comments. I plan to keep the reflected moon in this one, although, I did clone it out of my last image "Twilight Embrace".

Craig,
Very keen observation on the moon reflections. I went back to the raw files just to make sure i didn't make any perspective adjustments and this is the way the lens rendered both images. Neither were shot very wide (35mm + 28mm) so there should not be too much distortion. I'm not an optical expert but it may be a natural phenomena based on viewing location. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/30/17 at 10:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

The moon and it's reflection do no align perfectly because there is an ever so slight clockwise correction needed around the central axis. Theoretically they should align but there is such a small difference that I didn't notice it and therefore of little importance. But some feel more strongly about it. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 12/01/17 at 03:17 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

This is simply glorious.  Perhaps my favorite of your High Sierra images from this summer. A striking reflection image with such bold symmetry - I just love this.

I would love this without the moon as well.  Lot's of differing thoughts on the moon, but to me I'm indifferent - I think it works included or not.  And since one of the goals of your trip was timing for the full moon - I think you did a great job in maximizing your timing! So the lean goes to the moon - yes.  ;-)

I'm no optics expert, but once Craig mentioned the alignment of the moon and it's reflection I got curious.  Of course it's not just the moon. If you draw lines from various points along the crest left to right, you'll notice that everything in the image isn't aligned vertically. What's interesting is that there's a CW rotation for each point and it's reflection. What i noticed and have no explanation for, is that the rotation increases almost linearly from left to right.  Far left, cw rotation about .5deg, but as you move left to right, the rotation increases to almost 1.5deg.  weird.

To Craig's question, our mind and experience would say yes, the moons should be lined up vertically. however, I didn't notice it and it's not readily apparent to the casual viewer, so not a big deal at all with this image.

Oh, and I didn't even mention the perfect placement of the lone boulder. Perfect, great job. Shows you took great care in crafting this image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 12/01/17 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

I should mention that I think the only reason I noticed it in this image is because I noticed it in Dave's Twilight's Embrace image, where it is further off, so I was looking for it specifically. I agree that most observers wouldn't notice it, and it's not really a problem. I'm just curious about this phenomenon.

In the other post, I rotated the image so the moons aligned, and the image looked way off level, so I know that's not the problem there. In this one, rotating to align the moons doesn't look off level, so who knows.

Lon, it's very interesting that the rotation you mention changes from left to right. I didn't even think to look at that, but that is making me wonder even more about the phenomenon.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 12/01/17 at 1:06 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

This is fabulous, Dave.  No nits from me, and I like it with and without the moon.  I do think that losing the moon simplifies the composition, but keeping it helps us identify time of day.  There is a kind of metonymy with the moon and foreground rock that works well also. 

I didn't notice the rotation in this, but I did notice that the moon's reflection is not circular...kind of looks like there was a ripple in the water? I wonder if there is a possibility that having IS on while the camera is on a tripod would create some kind of a shift like this that would account for the double image of the reflected moon and the rotation folks describe. 

ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 12/04/17 at 10:01 pm EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Beautiful layers and colors. What I find most striking about this image is how serene and quiet the place looks. The water is absolutely still and the entire place looks so remote and isolated. It must have been awesome to be hiking around those parts.

Your work from the Sierra is drop down gorgeous Dave. I can't want to see what more you have to share with us.

Regards,

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership