Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Twilight's Embrace + Repost
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/26/17 at 12:45 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 11/26/17 at 3:11 pm EST

Twilight glow illuminates an unnamed lake in the Sierra backcountry. I utilized a 6 stop ND to smooth the water and a .75 GND to manage the dynamic range. Appreciate any comments, critiques or suggestions.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L @ 35mm

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/26/17 at 2:06 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Love the water and the comp. I think the moon reflection is a bit distracting and I could see cloning it out.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/26/17 at 2:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors and tranquil scene. My first thought agrees with Dan's on the reflected moon. I find it to be an eye magnet in the image. Otherwise, very sweet high country peace and quiet. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/26/17 at 2:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

I guess it's still possible to make photographs after the sun goes down... might not have recognized this as yours... enlightened

Indeed tranquil as Harley commented. No great drama here, but still just as beautiful as your late afternoon images with great light and clouds.

This works beautifully as presented - I mean how often does one get the chance to watch a moon rise over a High Sierra alpine setting?

I could entertain the thought of not having the moon reflection as well. A bit torn on that. And for that matter the boulder next to it.  What I would love to see - and I have no idea if you had the vantage point to pull it off, would be just a pano image of the range with the graduated colors of the earths shadow; with or without a moon.  But that may just be a wish.

Thanks for sharing these.  It's been way to many years since I've been in the Sierra back country.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/26/17 at 3:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

The lighting looks wonderful here.  The comp doesn't feel as unified as some of your other Sierra shots. The large area of water in the center seems where there should be some elements.  The rocks coming in from the left start to mingle with the back mnts. Intetesting elements, just not in the right places for me.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/26/17 at 3:12 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Hmmm... Here's a version with the moon and right boulder cropped out. Not sure if this is still balanced, compositionally?

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/26/17 at 3:33 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Hmmmm, is right. ;-)  Seriously though, this version is still about tranquility - perhaps even more so. Color is emphasized more since the eye doesn't have to contend with the moon.  I think the color and smoothness in the open was is enough interest and I think balances out enough. Of course makes me want that pano even more. angel

Ultimately, you'll probably be happiest with your original - after all that's what counts.

Thanks for taking the time on the repost. I think it works beautifully too.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/26/17 at 3:37 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I would like the middle of the two, rock back and no moon. But that is me and many may prefer the moon. Nice image any which way you slice (or clone) it. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/26/17 at 3:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

To be honest, Dave, I think the repost is stronger compositionally than the original. I had difficulty with the promontory and the island at opposite ends of the canvas with a lot of space in between.

For me the best part of this image is the lighting and the dawn colors. I really like that. And you seem to have the skill to always show those distant mountains at their best. They always have the right amount of contrast to glow a bit yet look so real. They're more real than real.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/26/17 at 3:47 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

At first look I thought you should leave the rock in, but after a few looks, I prefer the repost.
The crop off the right side makes the island more prominent and looks nice for me.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Neukirch on 11/26/17 at 9:28 pm EST    
Registered on 07/09/12, 207 Posts, 1476 Comments

I like the first version better. This image has to look killer printed large hanging on a wall I'll bet!

John Neukirch
Eastern Nebraska
http://www.johnneukirch.com
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
John Burroughs

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Neukirch Gallery of John Neukirch

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/27/17 at 6:49 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Love the colors throughout and the moon here, Dave.  There's a great sense of serenity.  I like the moon and the rock.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:20 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

Such an amazing sight. The soft twilight colors, the smooth water surface and those glowing mountains in the background make for a swell composition. I think the moon is a nice touch too, acting as a good counter-point in the scene.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 11/28/17 at 11:57 am EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Dave, I like the original post better. The moon and reflection do grab attention, but I think that they are well-balanced with the heavier mountains and island on the left. The overall color of this is wonderful. A very peaceful scene.

I have two comments on this. First, it feels to me like it needs a slight CCW rotation. I'm guessing this is one of those cases where it's not really rotated, it just feels that way (and maybe it's just me!) The other is that the moon and its reflection don't line up. The reflection is quite a bit further left than the moon.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 11/28/17 at 12:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Dave, nice colors and reflection.  My preference is the original as to me the rock, peninsula, and moon create a nice triangle.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 11/29/17 at 01:25 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I like the original, Dave. I should qualify that by saying, I like the original without the moon reflection.  I tend to find moon reflections distracting as a general rule.  I love the expansive feel  and the pastels are to die for.  Excellent.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Cordes on 11/29/17 at 10:13 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 451 Posts, 3366 Comments

I really like the repost better without the Moon.  Very moody and tranquil.  The moon draws my eye competing for two different locations.  the repost is much more calming.  Just my $0.02

NPN 1106
Life is beautiful, but remember - A little mild insanity keeps us healthy!

Ed
Corning, NY

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Cordes Gallery of Ed Cordes

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership