Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Olympic Autumn + RP
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 11/22/17 at 7:47 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 11/23/17 at 11:15 pm EST

Some vine maple near an Olympic National Forest campground and trail called Fall's View.  Most of the leaves were yellow but a few were orange and red here and there.  Made this image just a few weeks ago in October.  Our autumn colors here on the Olympic Peninsula were quite nice this year, which was surprising considering how dry the wholesummer was.
4x5, 120mm, warm polarizer, Provia 100F.  Flatbed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and such.

Larger image provided as well.

Your suggestions, comments, thoughts, etc would be very much appreciated.
Thanks, and Happy Thanksgiving.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/22/17 at 8:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like it. It's not just 'pretty' but has something to say imo. I'm sure the small plant in the lower left will be a subject of comments but I like it there. The moss covered trees in these rainforests are always an attention getter but coming up with meaningful compositions takes time. Wonderfully creative image. Good use of imagination.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/23/17 at 08:36 am EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Amazing how colorful the scene is - wouldn't have expected it.  A difficult place to compose it seems - very busy - but you've composed this really well to control the chaos.  The overall green atmosphere must be from the reflected light off the foliage.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/23/17 at 10:36 am EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

You made an interesting comp of the forest chaos. Hard to do....
The diagonal branches and comps and splashes of color is very well done.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ryan Kimball on 11/23/17 at 12:23 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/17, 11 Posts, 34 Comments

AT first I thought the yellow was a bit overwhelming but after looking for a bit longer I think it works. THese types of scenes are very difficult to make an interesting photo of. I think the framing of the green center tree is well placed and helps balance out the chaos of the yellows.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ryan Kimball Gallery of Ryan Kimball

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Morris McClung on 11/23/17 at 12:45 pm EST    
Registered on 05/07/07, 670 Posts, 19650 Comments

Beautiful and orderly. And yet, still no book. enlightened

Morris McClung
Parker, Colorado

Website

"If it is more than 6 feet from the car, it is not photogenic." Edward Weston to Ansel Adams

“He who works with his hands is a laborer.
He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman.
He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist.”

¯ St. Francis of Assisi

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Morris McClung Gallery of Morris McClung

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Vance Gese on 11/23/17 at 11:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments

Igor, Harry, Dan, Ryan, and Morris, thank you for your comments.  Looking at this on my wife's laptop, I seem to see something of a yellow/green cast throughout the image.  This repost is an attempt to correct that.  Hopefully, it looks better.
Thanks again for all your input.  I value every comment you folks make.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/24/17 at 01:40 am EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

The repost seems to have less pop but looks more realistic. I like the way the centred tree's branches radiate out in your composition.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/24/17 at 2:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Great to see an image for you.  I still love seeing (and appreciating) the works from film.  I think you've done well with the processing too.  I like the repost, but honestly not seeing too much of a difference.  As far as being yellow/green....  my first sarcastic thought was, "duh?"   angel enlightened

What you've captured and composed here fits right in with the "order from chaos" theme.  I do like the autumn colors in the background and I think have a very positive impact on this image. The yellow leaves upfront tie the image together nicely with the color in the background; leaving this fascinating tree in between.

I think to emphasize the moss covered tree, I was thinking of a crop off the left to remove the skinny tree on the left. But that's pretty minor.

Great work as always,

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/24/17 at 9:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Vance,

Great to see an image for you.  I still love seeing (and appreciating) the works from film.  I think you've done well with the processing too.  I like the repost, but honestly not seeing too much of a difference.  As far as being yellow/green....  my first sarcastic thought was, "duh?"   angel enlightened

What you've captured and composed here fits right in with the "order from chaos" theme.  I do like the autumn colors in the background and I think have a very positive impact on this image. The yellow leaves upfront tie the image together nicely with the color in the background; leaving this fascinating tree in between.

I think to emphasize the moss covered tree, I was thinking of a crop off the left to remove the skinny tree on the left. But that's pretty minor.

Great work as always,

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/25/17 at 3:49 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

A chaotic scene, but your composition really holds it together really well! Beautiful colors and sweet image. No suggestions here. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/26/17 at 09:39 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, Great job setting up this comp and making a fine image in a place that would be quite difficult. I think the repost looks better but there doesn't appear to be much difference. I just love all that moss. Nice work.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:59 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments
Comment last edited by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 05:59 am EST

The complexity of the composition is what really draws me to this photograph. It captures the inherent beautify of the forest in an uncompromising fashion. Too many photographers choose to simplify scenes of this nature too much. I am so glad you chose to capture that very aspect that makes these places so special.

Given that this was captured on large format film, I can only image what a thrill it must be to view a large print. 

Look forward to seeing more of your work Vance.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership