Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Floating Clouds
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/22/17 at 12:47 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

After 4 years of drought, the winter of 2017 saw near record-breaking snow fall in the Sierra. With tricky high water crossings and snow choked passes, this summer season was very short. I didn't get into the backcountry until late July and this image was from my first trip. This location is a relatively easy 1.5 days hike from the trailhead but due to the conditions I didn't see another sole for two days after leaving the main trail. Comments, critiques and suggestions appreciated.

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/22/17 at 3:46 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Looks like the snow cycle has begun again in the Sierra.  The cool tones of the ice/snow work well with the warm sky.  Might clone or tone down that rock on the left edge - pops out at me against the dark bushes.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kah Kit Yoong on 11/23/17 at 9:11 pm EST    
Registered on 09/27/06, 636 Posts, 10682 Comments

Very pretty looking scene enhanced by the contrast of warm tones against the cools of the ice slab.

Landscape and M&N Gallery Moderator
Melbourne, Australia
Blog : [url]http://www.magichourunplugged.com/[/url]

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kah Kit Yoong Gallery of Kah Kit Yoong

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 11/24/17 at 11:53 am EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Looks like you had some great conditions back there and it's always nice to have the place to your self.  I like the composition and the reflection of the clouds in the lake.  Looks like this was taken in Pioneer Basin, with the Mono Recesses in the background.  Nicely done.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/24/17 at 2:24 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

You sure met with some great conditions and maximized your photo potentials!  This one is fabulous.  I especially like the patch of ice lower left as I seems to mimic the clouds.

Processing is beautiful and  you handled the dynamic range perfectly.  Only small suggestion would be to clone out the little boulder on the left edge below the vegetation.

Beautiful high Sierra image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/24/17 at 2:40 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I like this one but not as much as your previous ones. It looks to me as though you didn't do as much processing on this one. The mountains aren't as rich. The snow looks flatter. It seems more as though it came straight from the camera. My guess is that you didn't value this one as much as the others. I thought 'Reflecting Pool' was the best of the bunch, although apparently the moderators thought otherwise. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/25/17 at 3:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments
Comment last edited by Harley Goldman on 11/26/17 at 08:40 am EST

This is beautiful, Dave. The blues in the snow are subtle and work quite well against the warm background light. I might give the reds in the mountains a slight boost, but minor stuff. Real pretty. 

Just think of the miles you might have traveled if you had been fueled by Harley's HomeRoast! sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership