Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Chico Moonrise
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 11/22/17 at 10:39 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a 2 days before the official full moon, moonrise view as the moon clears Chico Peak in Montana's Paradise valley.  Getting detail in the full moon and detail in the land in a single exposure only works in a roughly 5 day window around the full moon and the choice of days depends on when the moon clears the local horizon.  I'm also including a b&w version, that I think works well although I like this color version where only the moon and the touch of sun on the peak have much color in a large black and white frame.  (7D2, 100-400 IS II @ 135 mm, 1/60s, f/8, iso 200, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/22/17 at 10:40 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Here's the b&w version.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ronald Murphy on 11/22/17 at 10:59 am EST    
Registered on 03/13/12, 279 Posts, 975 Comments

Whoa, this is great. I suspect the light on the peak was gone by the time the moon cleared the ridge line. Or the moon was too bright by then. I prefer the color if you're polling.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ronald Murphy Gallery of Ronald Murphy

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/22/17 at 1:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

There is always something special about a full moon rising over the landscape.  You've caught this perfectly, especially with the last bit of light on the peak.  The dusting of snow is quite literally icing on the cake.  Wonderful image.

No nit picking here.  Although as an alternate crop, you might take some off the bottom, maybe as much as the entire lower ridge (that has no snow.)  I think a pano crop would emphasize the long ridge line of the mountain.  Just a thought. But I certainly think this is beautiful as captured and presented.

Oh, color for me all the way.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 11/22/17 at 1:06 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Nicely timed and great job exposing both the moon and the dark foreground properly. The warm glow of the moon really stands out in the color version but I think I prefer the simplicity of the BW rendering. In either rendering, I think the hillside could benefit from a slight bump in contrast.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/22/17 at 3:54 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Great timing on this.  The window is very narrow when the lighting works for these kinds of shots.  I think a slight crop off bottom and right to keep the aspect ratio might make it stronger.  Some of the lower snow spots seem very bright, especially noticeable on the BW.  Not sure if you're able, to would be great to pull out some of the texture of the darker trees.  Very nice.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/25/17 at 3:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful scene. It is close, but I prefer the B&W.  The contrasts seem to pop more for me. I like the suggestions on the crops and bump in contrast, but minor stuff. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Anil Rao on 11/28/17 at 11:08 am EST    
Registered on 11/15/03, 234 Posts, 4923 Comments

What a beautiful image. Serene and haunting. The various tones and the undulating shape of the land stand out in sharp contrast to the rising moon and the sky. The light on the peak is a lovely touch. I am also particularly fond of the overall mood, which I suppose can be attributed to the color palette.

Anil Rao

Santa Clara, California

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Anil Rao Gallery of Anil Rao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jerry Austin on 11/29/17 at 10:04 am EST    
Registered on 01/06/12, 651 Posts, 3448 Comments

Beautiful Mark. I like the color version best. Well done.

Jerry Austin
Fort Worth, Texas

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jerry Austin Gallery of Jerry Austin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership