Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Reflecting Pool
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 11/02/17 at 12:00 am EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

While the summer of '17 is rapidly becoming a memory I thought I'd post another image captured in the High Sierra backcountry. The wind was blowing pretty good so I ended up shooting the foreground at ISO 400 and blending it into a second image at ISO 100. 

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L, .75 GND

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/02/17 at 01:00 am EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Wow. This is a Sierra Calendar quality image. Looks like a lot of work and attention went into this. Can't think of a single change to suggest. This is a personal preference, but you could lighten up the darks in the clouds just a smidgeon. There so many good qualities in this image. The shadow on the crest of the mountain on the right is but just one. Looks like you dodged that big rock on the right. No question about it, this is a labor of love. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 11/02/17 at 09:53 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This is a real beauty Dave!  It sure makes me want to sit right there and sip a cup of joe. No suggestions from me. Excellent. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 11/02/17 at 11:01 am EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

Excellent! Beautiful! Superb! (And even more superlatives.) If you are going to print it, the upper left edge has a bit of something going on as well as the black partial edge mark on left of water.  Love it!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 11/02/17 at 12:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

The shooting stars make this a special image for me. Love the light and clouds, the general high country look, and the reflections.
Beautiful!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 11/02/17 at 2:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

You could clone that patch of dirt at edge of frame, bottom center, next to flowers. The 2 brighter rock wedges on the right edge could be burned down to the level of the boulder directly behind.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 11/02/17 at 3:02 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

What an excellent image, Dave.  Beautiful scene with wonderful lighting, and like Harley said, I could said with my coffee and enjoy.  Captured perfectly, in my opinion.

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 11/02/17 at 8:19 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

Mega compliments from me. Deserves to be printed large. As jim has mentioned, there's something funky going on with ULC.devil

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 11/02/17 at 8:35 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

There is a lot of beauty to feast my eyes on in this shot.  Everything from the tarn and foreground flowers to the glow of the peaks and the contrasting warm and cool tones fills the frame with delight!  Very nicely done!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 11/02/17 at 9:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Stunning high alpine Sierra image.  Igor mentioned Sierra Calendar (I think Sierra Club?) - I concur and will just mention one other thing/name: Galen Rowell.  'nuff said - this is gorgeous.

I'm guessing those issues along the left edge must be due to the layer alignment of the two different images you used.  I see that with focus stacked images after using the "Auto align" layers.  A slight crop or cloning if you prefer should take care of it.

Outstanding image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 11/02/17 at 11:08 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

Another beauty from your trips. I hear they are getting snow now! Love the shadows on the top of the peaks. Really well composed and the lighting is fantastic. The midground granite does seem a little darker than the near rocks, maybe from the grad? If you could even that out would be perfect. Looks idealic.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Stephen Stanton on 11/03/17 at 01:49 am EST    
Registered on 03/01/15, 54 Posts, 453 Comments

Beautifully done, some great midtones on the crests and excellent detail throughout..there does seem to be two light sources and it gives a surreal quality to the image. 

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Stephen Stanton Gallery of Stephen Stanton

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 11/03/17 at 05:34 am EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Lovely setting and processing.  Great stuff.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 11/03/17 at 12:03 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a great scene, Dave.  The warm streaky light and the reflections pop very well.  The broad horizontal swatches of color make for a very peaceful and inviting scene.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 11/03/17 at 1:29 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This is really a beautiful image. I love the look and feel it has and so much to look at. The light and colors are just wonderful and you did an excellent job capturing that. It does look like it would make a beautiful print.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 11/03/17 at 5:06 pm EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

wonderful picture. admire it.

Is the dark middle ground a bit too dark, especially the rocks and meadow beyond the pond, compared to the foreground? This is what I  wonder. no offense.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Marylynne Diggs on 11/03/17 at 5:32 pm EST    
Registered on 12/14/10, 122 Posts, 1034 Comments

This is fabulous, Dave.  I love the cool, warm, cool transitions front to back.  The left edge could just be cropped imho.  That would eliminate the tiny snowfield that is cut off there.  I have mixed feeling about what that might do to the top if you keep the aspect ratio.  In some ways I like the bit of bright wispy clouds and blue sky at the very top, but I also think it workd with some of that cropped a tish.
ML

ML Diggs
Portland OR

Personal Website    Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Marylynne Diggs Gallery of Marylynne Diggs

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 11/03/17 at 7:23 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is flat out gorgeous, Dave. I love the interplay of light and shadow in this alpine scene and the reflection is perfectly placed IMO. Great clouds BTW. My only suggestion; and this is being super picky; would be to clone out that bit of rock just to the left of the clump of wildflowers. This would make a beautiful print. This reminds me of something Galen Rowell would do.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 11/04/17 at 8:00 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Beautiful Dave, the foreground is like a fairy tale.
The midground shadow I have to say, is a bit dark for me, but I am not sure it could be processed any different.
The blend is perfect.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 11/04/17 at 10:31 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Another beautiful high Sierra scene for sure.  The mid ground is a little dark but overall  a great image.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership