Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Aspen and Sage
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 10/21/17 at 4:38 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

I spotted these multicolored aspen when I was finishing my morning shoot. The light was a bit harsh so I decided to return the next morning.  Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/21/17 at 5:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful stand of trees and sweet portrait of them. I might pull down the magenta in the background hillside, but minor stuff. Nice take from the east side!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/21/17 at 5:08 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This scene has some really nice layers and the brush along the bottom edge help ground this image, Dave. I particularly like the character of the twisted bent aspen in the middle of the trees. Very nicely done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Brian Schrayer on 10/21/17 at 5:36 pm EST    
Registered on 05/28/04, 114 Posts, 2890 Comments

I like the composition here because of the way that the brightly colored aspen contrast with the darker background trees and the lighter sage.  I also like the variety of color in the aspen leaves.  Very nice!

Brian Schrayer
Nashville, TN

"The mountains sing your glory, hallelujah, the canyons echo sweet amazing grace.  My spirit sails the mighty gales are bellowing your name, and I've got nothing to say."  Andrew Peterson, "Nothing to Say"

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Brian Schrayer Gallery of Brian Schrayer

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Eva McDermott on 10/21/17 at 9:36 pm EST    
Registered on 01/04/09, 1015 Posts, 13229 Comments

I like the mix of color and white accents Dave.  Wonderful autumn image.

Eva McDermott
Atkinson, NH
Landscape & M&N Co-Moderator
EvaMcDermottPhotography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Eva McDermott Gallery of Eva McDermott

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/21/17 at 11:46 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Very good processing in this image. The aspens look vibrant against the darker background. I might increase the blue/cyan/green color to the sage just a tad. The layer of sage works well here.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/22/17 at 10:00 am EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Dave, the sage in front of the group of aspens go together well and make for a nice scene. I wonder about the brightness of the slope behind- maybe select it and reduce the brightness of the exposed soil.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/22/17 at 5:09 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

I'm really enjoying this little stand of aspen.  I like the variety of color and stages the leaves are in - which is amazing considering these guys are genetically tied together.  The diffused, indirect light has done wonders for the colors too.  I had a similar thing happen up McGee Creek where I spied something, but was too late for the light so I returned the next morning.

I would agree with Harley about dropping the magenta a bit in the background slope.

One thing I notice that I like is the vantage point.  I'm not sure if this is the case, but it appears you are slightly above this grouping of aspen, looking downward on them; maybe not much, but it appears that way to me.  I also love the presence of the sage anchoring the frame.  My only nit here, I wish there was a skosh more!  but you've included enough that it's a positive element.

Well done!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 10/24/17 at 1:51 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Exquisite Dave. Great job framing these guys; that's not always easy to do. I could go for it being slightly brighter (but only slightly).

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/26/17 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

Beautiful Sierra scene and the touch of orange adds a lot.  Very nice.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership