Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Palette Springs #1
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Landscape gallery on 10/15/17 at 6:25 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

The flow in the first part of Palette Springs has moved back to where it's creating some fine colors around the dead trees.  This creates some photographic possibilities that I thoroughly enjoy.  This one was taken under a heavy overcast, which lets the colors show nicely.  (5D3, EF100-400 IS II @ 124 mm, 1/250s, f/8, iso 200, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/15/17 at 8:13 pm EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 10/16/17 at 09:18 am EST

WOW, what a neat take here, Mark. I'll say abstract to a point, but obviously the dead tree or snag gives a hint on overall dimensions and such. I can see your point about this making for some photo enjoyment overall too. The terrain is extremely photogenic in pallette, texture, and rolling mounds. Heck, even the diagonal flow from the URHC to LLHC is a real plus with the POV.
Although not mentioned is the yellow from resulting dry sulfur?......only change for me is very subjective on a tickle of saturation, maybe.....sad

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 10/15/17 at 8:57 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Very intriguing and unique image, Mark. Has almost an abstract quality and a wonderful color palette. The tree is well placed but you likely have endless cropping options to play around with as well.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/16/17 at 04:20 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments
Comment last edited by Mattia Oliviero on 10/16/17 at 08:07 am EST

Great quasi-abstract, Mark. I like where you placed the dead tree and the diagonal made by the different color. Very intimate and well seen image. Looking forward to see the others.

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/17/17 at 01:44 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Really nice, Mark.  I love the abstract qualities of this image.  The subtle earth tones and texture of the mineral spring are quite captivating.  I might clone the light area top left corner, but that's a micro nit on a beautiful image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/17/17 at 12:00 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Mark, Very nice work with this. It does have an abstract feel which is really interesting. I like the patterns, shapes and color throughout this scene. I think you comp worked out with a feel of flow and the placement of the tree being just right for me.

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/17/17 at 12:12 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

I like lack of scale and how the tree anchors the scene.  Great colors, too.  Nicely done.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/17/17 at 2:05 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

This turned out great! Very abstract, with excellent color, shapes and composition. I like this a lot!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/18/17 at 1:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Mark,

This is fascinating and the larger view of course even  more so!  Not only a terrific, natural abstract, this is a remarkable nature story! How did that tree get there?  Did it grow there, and was overrun with the sulfur or whatever? Or was it moved there, like in a slide or something?  I have no idea, not knowing much about the geology of the area.

Even without the answers to those questions and the nature story, this is a wonderful nature portrait.  Can't think of much that could improve this.  Although my one suggestions is a very slight sliver of a crop from the left just to eliminate the dark vertical patch on the upper left edge. But that's pretty minor.

Beautifully seen and captured!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Michael Lowe on 10/19/17 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 02/11/04, 777 Posts, 5252 Comments

This is way cool, Mark. Lots to explore in this image. Love the placement of the tree and the subdued colors.

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Michael Lowe Gallery of Michael Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 10/24/17 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

I'll add to the above that I too think this is an ultra-cool image Mark. The way the abstractness is broken by the tree, the flow of brown to where the tree is, and the subtle color are all superb.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership