Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Granite Awakens
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 10/12/17 at 4:09 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Another from my summer trips to the Sierra. This lake is about 3.5 miles/2500 ft gain from the trailhead. I started with a headlamp at 3:45 and arrived just in time for sunrise. When I got to the lake the log crossing across the outlet stream was washed away and the water was a bit too high and swift to safely cross, so I ended up fording in the lake near the outlet in thigh-deep water. 

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L, .75 GND. Two exposures blended for dynamic range.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 10/12/17 at 4:33 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Wow, Dave!  This is absolutely gorgeous!  I can tell you, if this was my shot, I would be making room on my livingroom wall for this one in medal, wood, something.  The lighting is just spectacular.  You went through a lot to get this shot, but looks like it was well worth it. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/12/17 at 5:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Ah to be young again and go all out for your image. Interesting that this is a 50/50 image yet there is no sense of that. The 2 halves are so different they're not really halves. Lot of elements interweaving here (grass and reflection, rock and clouds) that invites the viewer to explore. I don't know how you feel about this but I would desaturate the yellow/orange/reds in the center area. I say that because the distant sunlit mountains have a nicer glow to them. I don't know if it's possible to process and match them. It's all up to how you felt that morning.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 10/12/17 at 6:51 pm EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Dave,

The scene looks pretty good and I agree with Igor about the color on the back mountain--awesome.  Tweak down the saturation a hair in the center and should improve the comp....................................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/12/17 at 6:51 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, What a beautiful image this is. A fantastic scene that you captured in wonderful conditions. Love the light and colors here. I'm with Shirley here and think this would make a great looking print...gloss metal would be awesome I bet. cool

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 10/12/17 at 9:51 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Very cool indeed!  Nice effort to get there!  Might suggest having put the rocks in the bottom right more in to the corner to make a stronger leading line.  Other than that great capture of a fun scene :)

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 10/12/17 at 11:04 pm EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Wow, what a shot Dave! Reflections, color, composition, all great. Luck is that place where preparation opportunity meet. What a lucky shot! Keep up the good work  Ry

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/13/17 at 01:51 am EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Sometimes the effort pays off and sometimes it doesn't.  This is one instance that it emphatically does pay off.  I love your alpine shots, Dave.  Makes me wish I had the energy to visit places like this for a sunrise.  Awesome image.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/13/17 at 10:21 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

OH My!  Clearly well rewarded for your efforts! That's gotta feel good.

A LOT going on here, but it's all good - I might even say harmonious. (can't say I've ever used that in a comment before...)

What's to critique?  Only to enjoy.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/13/17 at 2:36 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Your hard work certainly paid off with this beautiful alpine scene, Dave. This has it all; wonderful light, lovely clouds and lots of interesting elements throughout to savor and enjoy. This is being super picky; and it might not have been possible; but I wish the rock along the bottom edge was not clipped off. Either way this would make a wonderful print as Nick already noted.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 10/14/17 at 1:38 pm EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

Absolutely gorgeous scene and an exceptional capture of it, Dave!  Amazing light and reflections and definitely worth getting wet for.  Nicely composed and I like that it's not over processed.  The large version has great presence and should be required viewing! devil

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/14/17 at 7:26 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful light, beautiful scene, beautiful image. Very Galen Rowell story. Sure you did not forget your lens and run back to the car to get it? :)  No nits here. Lovely!!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/16/17 at 12:19 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Spectacular lighting here, Dave.  Definitely a wall hanger!

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bo Chen on 10/23/17 at 10:04 am EST    
Registered on 02/14/17, 42 Posts, 74 Comments

classic mountain sunrise picture.

Bo Chen
Oakville, Ontario

Don't speak. Let it spoken through.

All Photos and Comments by Bo Chen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership