Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Monsoon Light
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 10/07/17 at 9:48 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 10/19/17 at 10:03 am EST

The monsoon flows were in full force this past summer in the Sierra and I was able to get good conditions on several backpacking trips. I'm in the process of sending files for proof prints so appreciate any thoughts on how to improve. 

>>> Best Viewed on a Black Background  >>> 

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L, .75 GND, double raw processed to retain detail in the sky.

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 10/07/17 at 10:47 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Excellent view and light.
The pink (or watermelon snow) is a big plus but is a bit on the purple side for the snow I have seen in the rockies.
Maybe just a bit off the bottom also...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 10/07/17 at 11:29 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Another beautiful image, Dave. That cloud came along as though ordered and placed itself in the perfect position between the crags. It's been years since I hiked in country liked that but I do remember that purple fungus(?) that grows in the snow. The light looks a little in the shadows but opens up nicely in the large version to reveal a nice fg. I think the grass on the peninsula beyond the white rock could be opened up a little with some mid tone contrast added. The low angle light on the snow looks great. The clouds look naturally lit. I would drop the cyan/blue in the ulc to match the blue on the right. Or change the clu in the urc. They be similar probably in tone and color. That's all I can think of.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 10/07/17 at 11:53 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

Outstanding Dave.  Everything seems to come together very nicely here.  The processing looks spot on, with the exception of the ulc and Igor has given some suggestions to address that.  It would be a bit extreme, but I might clone the blue sky completely.  This is top notch and will make an awesome print.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ry Birge on 10/08/17 at 07:43 am EST    
Registered on 09/23/17, 118 Posts, 278 Comments

Superb photo Dave! Love the composition. My only suggestion is you might have backed out a little bit to give a little bit wider view of the scene, although I do like this crop. Keep up will work!

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ry Birge Gallery of Ry Birge

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/08/17 at 09:37 am EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, What a beautiful image this is. An absolutely wonderful scene that you captured in great light and conditions. Like this alot! The only thing I can see that might be worth a try would be as Igor mentioned and try and match the blue in the upper left corner with that of the right. Just a bit lighter maybe. Really nice work on this! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 12:44 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments
Comment last edited by Harry Lichtman on 10/08/17 at 12:44 pm EST

Wonderful mix of colors and lines through the image.  My only comment / suggestion is the cloud base looks overly magenta or the transition zone between the colors appears a little unnatural to me.  Maybe targeting the magenta colors with slight tweaks?  I missed some great conditions out there.  Glad you caught them.

Can you say cover photo!!!!!

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 10/08/17 at 3:07 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Outstanding High Sierra landscape image!  Beautifully composed - I like how everything fits together like puzzle pieces; from the delicate summer wildflowers to the power of the peaks and dynamic clouds.  Everything fits beautifully.

I don't have much knowledge or experience in seeing in person any type of fungus or whatever on the summer snow pack, so I can't really comment on the colors of that stuff in the snow.  Only you know what was there or not.  I would agree with Igor on the difference in color/sat of the blue in the opposite upper corners.  In the upper left, a bit electric.  All points minor - I think with a few tweaks this will be more than outstanding!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 10/08/17 at 4:15 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful!!! I agree with the suggestions to match the ulc to the urc. To my eye, the left corner does not match the scene. Otherwise, it looks great!

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 10/08/17 at 4:48 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

What a beautiful scene, and it does look like a cover photo, Dave! 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 10/08/17 at 10:25 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

This is a beauty, Dave. The large version does a wonderful job of showcasing all of the beautiful details in this alpine scene. Everything works hand in hand in this image from the FG grasses and flowers to the BG peaks with their snow; all topped of with that drama laden sky. My only suggestion would be the already mentioned matching of the blue sly in the upper corners. I could also see this working with a crop of the blue sky. Just a thought.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mattia Oliviero on 10/09/17 at 04:17 am EST    
Registered on 08/24/16, 43 Posts, 254 Comments

Such a beautiful mountain scene, Dave. You did a great job managing the different luminosity. Agreed with all the previous comments and I would add to darken a little bit the peaks since they look too bright given the direction of the light. Great Job!

Mattia Oliviero
Trento, Italy

Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mattia Oliviero Gallery of Mattia Oliviero

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Chambers on 10/09/17 at 10:29 am EST    
Registered on 04/10/05, 753 Posts, 21216 Comments

A lovely image, and so peaceful.  Love the subtle color in the snow and the more intense color in the sky and reflection.  Very pleasing image, Dave.

Bill Chambers
Gulf Breeze, Florida
Please visit Enchanted Light Photography

"You don't make a photograph just with a camera. You bring to the act of photography all the pictures you have seen, the books you have read, the music you have heard, the people you have loved.” - Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Chambers Gallery of Bill Chambers

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 10/09/17 at 12:36 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

You've got some great drama here, Dave.  The towering clouds, the rugged peaks, the golden light and the fine green foreground come together very well.  It's a beauty.  I do wonder how a subtle dodging of the green peninsula in the mid-ground would look.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 10/09/17 at 9:15 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

The brighter grass in the extreme LRC and bottom edge seems to catch my eye, so maybe darken it or make a tiny crop. Others have pointed out the different sky colors in the ULC and URC.  The image makes me want to smell that watermelon snow.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 10/09/17 at 11:34 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

It must have been awesome standing there with these conditions.  Love the pink algae and it's nice to see so much snow.  This is a great image of the Sierra high county at its finest.    

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 10/12/17 at 12:58 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

John Muir did not call the Sierra "The Range of Light" for nothing. This is gorgeous, Dave, and very true to the light I have seen many, many times in the high country.

OK. I have seen the term, "double raw processed" several times, but I do not know what it means, or how to do it. Could you send me an e-mail about this? Thanks!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 10/19/17 at 7:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, A wonderful image and a great one for the Editors Pick. It is a wonderful image beautifully captured. Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership