Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Tarn View
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 09/13/17 at 6:30 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Hi All,
Haven't posted in a while but thought I would share a few recent images for comment. I have been getting into the backcountry quite a lot this summer and unlike last year, getting some decent cloud action. This year the monsoon flow in the Sierra has been fairly consistent. 

5DSR, 16-35 f/4 IS L @24mm, 6 stop ND filter

f/9, 13 sec, ISO100

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 09/13/17 at 7:19 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful high country scene. It is a personal preference, but I might throw in a vibrance layer and give it a healthy boost. It would give everything just a bit more "glow".  The cloud gods were with you and you took nice advantage. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 09/14/17 at 09:46 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

This is a lovely scene, Dave.  I can easily imagine sitting in a back country camp and enjoying the scene.  I think the subtlety of the colors adds to the sense of peace.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 09/14/17 at 6:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Nice to see you back, Dave! Ah, the Sierra High Country--no place like it. I like the subtle color and the soft light, but a boost in vibrance would be interesting to see. I like the curves of the tarn and snowfield, and the clouds look great. Looks to be an old lateral moraine above the snowfield.

Just curious, but where is this?
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 09/15/17 at 10:27 am EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

What a gorgeous view; this brings me there and makes me wish I was there.  I think you did a great job with the processing, color, saturation,etc., although if you did boost the vibrance a smidge, I'd say the same thing. ;-) Beautiful as is.

Some times I get overly picky and perhaps this is one of those times.  My only teenie wish for this would be the inclusion of the entire shore along the left; the good news though is that the lighter part of the reflection isn't merging with the frame edge... so never mind.  

Wonderful high Sierra landscape image.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/15/17 at 10:32 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Nice to see another from you Dave! This is flat out lovely. You caught some lovely color with a wide and sweeping view; very enjoyable to look at.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Kathy Barnhart on 09/21/17 at 12:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/11/11, 404 Posts, 1639 Comments

Agree with the comments already made. Just a gorgeous, peaceful high country scene. Makes me wish I could go there, but since I can't, this will more than compensate. I like this as is, but would also experiment with more "punch."

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Kathy Barnhart Gallery of Kathy Barnhart

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 09/23/17 at 6:43 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, This is really nice! It is a wonderful view and I like the comp you came up with very much. Nice clouds and the 6 stop ND really helped with the reflections by smoothing out the water. I have been using one a fair amount lately but usually have to focus first because I can't see the image good enough to manual focus with it on. Picked up the 5D4 and head out to the U.P. to give it a workout this coming Thursday for a week or so. Might end up wishing I had gone with the 5DSr so we'll see. It was a tough decision for me...smiley Nick

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership