Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Cascade Temple
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the Landscape gallery on 08/31/17 at 12:07 am EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for all the comments on my previous post.  This one here is the same scene I posted earlier, only this one focuses on the cascade, rather than the bottom of the falls with rocks and flowing water.  The same standing stone remains which is a focal point here.

I had a heck of a time processing this one so I'm very curious as to your thoughts in this regard. As always, your comments, critiques and suggestions are always welcome.

This is a single frame at f/16 I think.

Thanks for any comments!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 08/31/17 at 05:01 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

I'm not always the biggest fan of waterfalls but this one is beautifully constructed with a flow rate that I find very appealing.  I really love the golden brown colouration to all the rocks and the position of that central rock bottom third surrounded by the white streaks of falling water.  I hope you tried a few different shutter speeds to ensure you got the best look.

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 08/31/17 at 10:05 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful. Love the golden light and the mood it creates. I might burn or clone out the rock in the top right quandrent and clone the white spot sort of along the edge to the right of the rock. Minor on both. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 08/31/17 at 12:13 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I really liked your first post of this falls, but this is spectacular.  If you had trouble processing this one, it certainly doesn't look like it.  I love the streaks of water dripping from each level.  The shadows open up in the large view and add a wonderful backdrop to the light on the falls.  Really beautiful and thought provoking, Lon.  I will echo Harley's suggestions for cloning the small eye grabbers.  

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 08/31/17 at 4:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Interesting interpretation of a waterfall. It's almost like a Rembrandt portrait, if that makes any sense. The use of light with the surrounding area much darker reminds me of his work. 

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 08/31/17 at 4:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Lon, I think you did an excellent job processing this one. Having been there at the moment and seeing the light you had to work with, I think this captures the spirit of this wonderful waterfall. I agree with the cloning suggestions. The shutter speed was perfect for this. The water has very nice texture. Well done, sir!
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 09/01/17 at 02:23 am EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments
Comment last edited by Ed Williams on 09/01/17 at 11:45 am EST

I agree with the others Lon. The light is wonderful here and the details in the large version are amazing. 

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 09/01/17 at 12:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Everything looks fantastic to me, Lon. You would never know that you had trouble with the processing if you had not mentioned it. The lighting is exquisite as it helps accentuate the important elements in the scene and the darker left side adds a wonderful air of mystery to the image. BTW great SS choice. This is beautifully done.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 09/01/17 at 3:27 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

PS. I think the title 'Temple' is perfect here. Altar, Temple is how this cascade is presented. An offering to the gods.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 09/04/17 at 11:03 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Beautiful mix of gold colors Lon; I like this one very much. That lone rock standing out at the bottom is a wonderful addition to the rest of the scene, I agree that it is a perfect focal point.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership