Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Not a Landscape
Purchase Print
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Weekly Challenge gallery on 08/06/17 at 09:50 am EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 08/13/17 at 12:32 pm EST

Here's a 40 shot stack of ice on my backyard pond last december where the main lighting is the reflected light from our neighbor's brick house.  Without that orange light, I think this scene would be much less interesting.  The overall scene was roughly a foot wide.  (5D3, 180 mm macro L, f/14, 1/25s, iso 200, tripod and cable release)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/06/17 at 11:17 am EST    
Registered on 02/25/06, 525 Posts, 8448 Comments
Comment last edited by Paul Breitkreuz on 08/06/17 at 11:18 am EST

Mark, in review of the forum area I saw your post update with "Odd Light" explanations. I saw your original post and could easily picture numerous examples overall. This image would have been an example I could see easily meeting that perceived vision. Although, amongst my own images I'd have to dig hard to find one I feel meets the criteria.

This 40 image stack is amazing in just the quantity of takes here. Needless to say nothing ever envisioned possible with film. Along with the number of takes here I guess it also provides a bit of "trick" to my eyes with regard to dimensions. I see this being a very good sized area of a yard or pond, when in fact your comment states about a foot wide. Excellent example for this weeks theme and I'm sure others will have more to share here. 

btw: thanks for the comment on my image in Landscape. I too see the rescue of the young folks not looking good. I've had some real brain twists and soul searching after hearing about it on day one. What bothers me is being maybe one of the first people to pass the scene at 0500 on the morning they came up missing. As soon as I saw the car on the news and where it was parked I immediately had a da ja vue attack and recall of seeing another car parked along side it. I sincerely hope this was not an abduction thing or worse yet taking of life thing. I was surely in hopes there would have been an update by now........cheeky

Paul Breitkreuz
Corona, California
Trailimages.com
NPN 2326

"Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care."
- Theodore Roosevelt -

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Paul Breitkreuz Gallery of Paul Breitkreuz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dennis Plank on 08/06/17 at 7:34 pm EST    
Registered on 01/28/08, 1767 Posts, 23192 Comments

Nice shot and I really like the landscape, Mark.  It also gives me some ideas for the challenge.

Dennis Plank
Littlerock, Washington

NPN 3675

http://www.cranesongscalling.com

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dennis Plank Gallery of Dennis Plank

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Gary Minish on 08/07/17 at 01:43 am EST    
Registered on 02/04/06, 625 Posts, 3583 Comments

Great light and an excellent abstract ice reflection, Mark!  I've never tried to blend that many images before.  It must take a bit of time and patience.  Good eye to see the possibilities and excellent execution.  Nice choice for the challenge also.

Gary Minish
Valdez, Alaska, USA

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Gary Minish Gallery of Gary Minish

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 08/07/17 at 5:22 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

That is a crazy stacking job Mark. At first glance I thought river. I really like the coppery colors reflecting the brick colors from your neighbor's house. Great textures and depth in the ice too.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by David Schoen on 08/07/17 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/06/06, 1213 Posts, 4587 Comments
Comment last edited by David Schoen on 08/07/17 at 5:56 pm EST

Icapades.  Ice Scape.  Well there was a time when this type of landscape; the abstract view, was more acceptable in the landscape gallery.  From what I've seen lately there is more acceptance of the long view.  I wish there was more of a place for both.

That said, I really like the lines and colors in this image.  I am a fan of the abstract look at nature because the photographer uses those designs to make a statement within a rectangle box, allowing the dictates of the qualities of light and crop to influence our minds.  Well done and well seen.

David Schoen
Olympia, WA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by David Schoen Gallery of David Schoen

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 08/08/17 at 2:38 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

What an excellent image, Mark!  And 40 images stacked!  Wow!  That is really awesome, and the work paid off, as this is one fine piece of art.  I see that you are using the 180 mm macro L lens.  I am really seriously considering it, I think.  I like every L lens I have.  I will deal with no IS. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Craig Moreau on 08/08/17 at 6:20 pm EST    
Registered on 04/21/15, 64 Posts, 584 Comments

Mark, this is a great example of what can be done with modern imaging technology. I love all the textures, patterns and color in this.

Craig Moreau
Central CT

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Craig Moreau Gallery of Craig Moreau

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 08/09/17 at 10:39 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi  Markcrying     Well worth the stacking effort   frownblushfrown   love  the  beautiful  colors and  excellent  detail  of  the icedevil

Albert Darmo

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership