Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Pondhawk on Lily
Photo posted by Mark Seaver in the Macro & Close-up gallery on 06/15/17 at 7:13 pm EST
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments
Post last edited by Mark Seaver on 07/22/17 at 2:22 pm EST

This male Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis) was enjoying perching on my water lily blooms after they closed for the day.  The lily pads and more blooms made for a colorful background.  (7D2, 100 - 400 f4.5-5.6LII @ 400 mm, 1/1250s, f/8, iso 400, tripod)

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 06/16/17 at 10:19 am EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Nice face on capture, Mark.  I love that background with the different tones of color, yet totally out o focus.  I wish whatever that is on the pedal of the flower wasn't there, but I don't think there is any way to clone that out.   Thank you for providing the name of him, and that he is male.  I have a lot of learning to do on identification of the creatures that I am photographing.  You mentioned in another post that you have extension tubes, have you tried to use them with this lens?  Works pretty good for a fill the frame with dragonflies and butterlies, etc. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Don Young on 06/16/17 at 3:30 pm EST    
Registered on 04/23/15, 56 Posts, 224 Comments

Very nice detail, especially in the wings!  Background goes well with the subject and lighting works well.  Is the little critter smiling?cool

All Photos and Comments by Don Young

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 06/17/17 at 10:49 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Shirley, this is a full frame image.  Yes, extension tubes can improve close focusing, but when using this lens at 400mm, adding extension doesn't help a lot.  The extra magnification goes as the ratio of the tube length to the lens focal length, so for 40mm of extension tubes at 400 mm focal length, you gain 10% in magnification.  For this lens at 400 mm and closest focus that would increase your magnification from 0.31X to 0.34X.  I haven't tried this lens with my old 1.4X tele extender (version 1), but when I tried that TE with my Canon 180mm macro, I could see the extra softness.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Shirley Freeman on 06/17/17 at 7:19 pm EST    
Registered on 05/27/17, 77 Posts, 844 Comments

Mark, I think I was misleading in my comment.  I didn't think about it even being taken that way.  At the time I was thinking about how I had tried out those extension tubes last year on the 100-400mm to make a long macro lens of sorts, and thought I would see if you ever tried it, not realizing that my comment was sounded like you could have had a full frame of this image if you had tried that!  My goof.  No, I think this shot is very nice, and certainly full frame.  I just wanted to share a technique that I had learned.  I never want to hold back anything that I have learned that works well, in my opinion.  I will try to post one of my shots that I took last year using that set-up and see how you and others on here seem to like or dislike.  What I find that the extension tube did for me was to allow me to focus closer, hence a macro lens of sorts for the skittish critters like butterflies. 

Shirley Freeman
Saint Pauls, North Carolina
www.freemansphotos.com

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."  Ansel Adams

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Shirley Freeman Gallery of Shirley Freeman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Yun Gao on 06/18/17 at 10:20 am EST    
Registered on 09/11/12, 267 Posts, 1621 Comments

Mark, I like the head on view. Nice floral perch and a fine background.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Yun Gao Gallery of Yun Gao

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Williams on 06/18/17 at 4:59 pm EST    
Registered on 12/28/10, 636 Posts, 3499 Comments

The BG and overall color is exceptional Mark. You nailed the DOF on the DF and the lily too. Those eyes are great.

Ed Williams
www.chasindaylight.com
La Habra, CA

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Williams Gallery of Ed Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Albert Darmo on 06/19/17 at 8:42 pm EST    
Registered on 11/25/08, 1386 Posts, 11978 Comments

Hi Markcrying       The colors and detail are  beautifully captured, frownblushfrown the smiling face is an  extra bonus  for this  fine  image.

Albert Darmo
Canada

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Albert Darmo Gallery of Albert Darmo

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/20/17 at 9:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful dragonfly image, Mark. Terrific bg. Excellent dof managment for both the subject and bg. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Leggett on 06/23/17 at 8:10 pm EST    
Registered on 07/21/04, 706 Posts, 3233 Comments

I meant to comment on this earlier, Mark.  It's a really nice image with good focus in the right places.  While the colorful BG might otherwise compete for attention, it works well with your framing.

Bill
Mississippi Gulf Coast
"They do not sweat and whine about their condition,
They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins..."
Walt Whitman

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Leggett Gallery of Bill Leggett

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership