Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Forest Lines
Photo posted by Vance Gese in the Landscape gallery on 06/09/17 at 7:38 pm EST
Registered on 11/13/08, 298 Posts, 6629 Comments
Post last edited by Vance Gese on 06/11/17 at 01:52 am EST

Happened upon this mixed hemlock/Douglas fir/cedar forest near our home a couple of years ago and was really taken with the beautiful lines of the moss draped branches and trunks.  A couple of unsuccessful attempts to make an image with the 4x5 were stymied by wind, until one morning last November when I was finally able to make this image after a drenching rain.  Subtle mist floated in through the more distant trees; a real gift, as was the absolute stillness.  The rain soaked moss, ferns, and trees seemed to glow in the diffuse early morning light.  Your thoughts, ideas, and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

4x5, 120mm, Provia 100F, warm polarizer, f32.6, 4 minutes (and a few prayers).  M1 flatbed scan, Tony Kuyper's masks and other techniques.

Large size image provided.

Thanks.

Vance Gese
Vance Gese Photography
Quilcene, Washington
I was merely there, a small, puny, awestruck man,
praising Almighty God, with camera in hand.

Make a few images, well.

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio All Photos and Comments by Vance Gese Gallery of Vance Gese
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 06/09/17 at 10:57 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I have learned a lot from the photographers on this site.  One of the things I've learned is,  if you have an idea for an image, stay with it until the conditions are right.  It might take a couple of visits, or it might take months or even years. I appreciate that premise whenever it is articulated as the basis for making an image.  I love the glow of the moss, the greens are so vibrant they almost pulse.  A simple forest scene transformed into so much more.  Beautiful Vance.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ken Smith on 06/10/17 at 12:08 am EST    
Registered on 09/05/08, 449 Posts, 2444 Comments

That 4 minute exposure with prayers.... yeah for you...it worked!   

The low light equalized and subdued the contrasts leaving the colors to hold the attention of the viewer.  The vibrant moss on branching that was not too busy worked well.  So often the branching is train-wreck of multiple angles and overlaps that become the classic dog-hair thicket and mush.  This is sparsely branching and well seen.  Congrats!

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ken Smith Gallery of Ken Smith

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Zablotny on 06/10/17 at 07:31 am EST    
Registered on 01/17/04, 705 Posts, 3594 Comments

Hi Vance,

Love the color depth of this image.  4 minute exposure without a raven jumping into the scene is awesome.  Excellent imagedevil.......................Jim

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Zablotny Gallery of Jim Zablotny

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 06/10/17 at 2:11 pm EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

4 minutes? Wow. The large version has beautiful, rich color in the diffuse light and excellent detail. Very nice, Vance. Would make an excellent, vibrant print with amazing detail. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 06/10/17 at 3:54 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Vance, Really nice job making this image and that 4 second exposure worked out great for you. This composition looks great and I'm really enjoying the light and color in this scene. Wonderful details! 

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock,WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 06/10/17 at 4:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I love the richness of the green hues in this image, from lime green to almost blue. And the large version is amazing in quality.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Genny K. on 06/11/17 at 11:44 am EST    
Registered on 06/05/06, 132 Posts, 2001 Comments

This is really beautiful.  It is super difficult for me to make an image like this, and I think you did a really good job on this one.  The DOF, the comp, the exposure, they all come together.  Those greens are just lovely, and the mixture of greens and browns through the trees and moss-covered branches is a peaceful, calming combination. It was a good 4 minutes!!
Nicely done.

Genny K.
Alaska, USA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Genny K. Gallery of Genny K.

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 06/11/17 at 5:34 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

Those were some calm conditions...
Excellent intimate scene with implied movement when there was none at all.

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 06/11/17 at 5:47 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent. I am really enjoying the rich color and the controlled chaos of the comp. 
Beautifully done. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 06/13/17 at 4:02 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Vance, there is an amazing subtlety to your image for me, a wonderful mixture of elements and a lot of delicate details to explore. Congrats on this one.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership