Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Bricks & Stones +repost
Photo posted by Lon Overacker in the POP Photos gallery on 03/20/17 at 8:36 pm EST
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments
Post last edited by Donna Erhardt on 04/02/17 at 11:14 am EST

... or rock in the wall, or both.  Here is another from Columbia.  Preston has posted many images of brick, doors, windows and buildings over the years.  It's a terrific little old mining town loaded with photo ops.

I'm posting this more for the story really than the image. Thought I would share.  I found this wall off the main street kinda tucked away by some back doors.  I thought it was an interesting wall, combined of brick and stone.  Not sure the story behind these (as there were a number of various designs like this around town - Maybe Mr. Columbia and fill us in.

Anyway, I'm set up, looking through the viewfinder, setting the tripod, the usual stuff.  Behind me I hear a young voice faintly asking her mother, "what is he taking a picture of?"  And just as I turned to look, Mom says, "It's art." with a smile on her face, and I replied out saying, that's right!   I'm sure she was local and I sensed a slight sarcasm in there... probably because she's seen countless photogs taking a picture of this very wall.  angel  Made my day though.

Thanks for looking!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    NPN Member Online Portfolio Member Blog All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/21/17 at 3:35 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

This is very cool. The contrast between the marble stones and the bricks is excellent. The processing looks great.

This wall is on the rear (west side) of the City Hotel. I do not know how this particular junction of rock and brick work came about, but I will see if I can find out. I am curious, too.

Nice story about the curious kid and the mom's comment.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/21/17 at 4:56 pm EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

I like the contrast of the building materials and the warm/cool tones. The reds look really dull and flat to my eye. Maybe pull in the white point on the red channel in levels (luminosity) and then do a vibrance layer and boost it a bit? Good find either way. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Jim Gavin on 03/21/17 at 8:04 pm EST    
Registered on 08/14/08, 293 Posts, 1250 Comments

That's probably the name the locals gave the wall.  (Yeah, sure).   Very interesting architecturally.  Never seen one like this. While I think it is a very nice photo, I agree with Harley about boosting the reds a bit.

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Jim Gavin Gallery of Jim Gavin

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/21/17 at 10:20 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Thanks for the comments guys.  Harley, great call and thanks for the feedback. I totally agree, this looks really flat... grrrr cheeky

Not sure how much, if any, this is an improvement.  Also, thanks for the Luminosity/red channel adjustment tip. (although I added several others, including a crop from the original.)

That's what critiquing and feedback is for - let's us improve our image.  So thanks!

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/22/17 at 09:03 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Looks much better to my eye. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Richard Teller on 03/24/17 at 2:00 pm EST    
Registered on 08/23/10, 1162 Posts, 6692 Comments

Interesting abstract. I like the contrast of textures and colors. I think I learn toward the repost as far as composition goes. Old buildings are always facinating. 

Richard Teller
Scottsbluff, NE
teller-nature-photography.redframe.com

The mountains and the seashore scream at you, but the prairie whispers and you have to stop and listen.
Don't shoot what it looks like, shoot what it feels like. David Alan Harvey

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Richard Teller Gallery of Richard Teller

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by SandyRichardsBrown on 04/02/17 at 12:43 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/03, 3937 Posts, 12909 Comments

A unique scene - great eye to have imagined this - Congrats on the WP!
Sandy

Sandy Richards-Brown, NPN #0367
Brookings, Oregon (summer/fall) and Sedona, Arizona (winter/spring)   
PNW and RMNP  Regional Member 
NATURE'S MAJESTY IMAGING
http://naturesmajestyimaging.zenfolio.com/

"All things bright and beautiful, All creatures great and small, All things wise and wonderful: The Lord God made them all.
Each little flower that opens, Each little bird that sings, He made their glowing colors, He made their tiny wings."

- Ce­cil F. Al­ex­an­der, Hymns for Lit­tle Child­ren, 1848, Ireland

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by SandyRichardsBrown Gallery of SandyRichardsBrown

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership