Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Brush Fire
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 03/14/17 at 10:29 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Another from my recent shoot with Harley in the Owens Valley. I've spent collectively maybe 8-9 mornings over the past two winters working this spot trying to refine comps and catch the best seasonal light. While I have a number of comps including the cottonwood trees, I decided to work on isolating the sage and brush.

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 @ 200mm, focus stack of 3 images shot to retain DOF

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/14/17 at 10:56 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

You are on a roll with these, Dave. I think this might be the best one yet in your Owen's Valley series. I love everything about this image from the layers of color to the gorgeous light in the scene. Beautiful stuff for sure.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/15/17 at 07:22 am EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Another great set of colors and shapes, Dave.  You caught some fine light on some great colors working this area.  The glow of the branch tips contrasts very well with the solid shapes of the tree trunks standing out so nicely against the glowing shrubs behind.  Another fine example of the value in knowing a location very well.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/15/17 at 07:30 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Wow, this is fantastic, Dave. Love the layers and colors. Predictably for me based on my comments on your other recent posts, I prefer this w/o the trees at the top. To me, the tree trunks are just a distracting element, and I would crop this right where the trees trunks begin. Just me. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ian Cameron on 03/15/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 08/06/04, 1125 Posts, 3318 Comments

Nice lines of colour Dave and I love the soft textures but the title is truly excellent.

Ian

Ian Cameron
Transient Light

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ian Cameron Gallery of Ian Cameron

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/15/17 at 10:19 am EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

Well I'd say drop the mike and walk off the stage...

This is supremely gorgeous Dave. From the lighting to the layering, it all comes together here.devil

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/15/17 at 1:32 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

I think that compositionally speaking this may be the strongest of the images you've posted on this subject. I would play with the colors a bit more. I would bring down the saturation of the cyan to match the level of the fg foliage. I might also bring down the highlights of the furthest layer just a tad as that layer is dominating the overall composition. It's a stylized image that's subject to interpretation, so mine is just a slightly different interpretation of many ways to go with this subject. The back row is splendid. I think you could have come up with a fine image of just the top half as well.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/15/17 at 5:41 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, The title is very fitting because it sure does give that impression. Once again the light, colors, textures and layers are just wonderful. For me the tree bases really add something special here and I love the way they look across the top of the frame. Very cool work!!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/15/17 at 5:54 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

I just love this condensed view and how you were able to include so much of the colors, textures and details in to such an intimate view.

The layers here are wonderful and I like the inclusion of the cottonwood(?) trunks up top - although I do wish there was just a bit more. Perhaps you are avoiding other bg elements. But regardless, just enough of them to add to the scene.

I gotta say though, that I'm with Igor on the intensity of the cyan. Not surprisingly though, it's less of an issue in the larger view. But still, the cyan and to some extent, the color/saturation is just bordering on too much. At least for me. Of course your and other's mileage will vary.

Having said that, this is just a gorgeous, intimate and beautifully seen image... that keeps teasing me to get back over there one day!

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Aaron Feinberg on 03/15/17 at 6:49 pm EST    
Registered on 10/26/09, 399 Posts, 2789 Comments

Yea, this is freakin rad.  Colors are pushed but it's artisticly done.  Sick stuff.

aF

"You never know how you look through other people's eyes"    
aFeinberg Gallery
Princeville • Poipu

aFeinPhoto
Facebook
IG

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Aaron Feinberg Gallery of Aaron Feinberg

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dan Kearl on 03/15/17 at 11:23 pm EST    
Registered on 09/02/13, 209 Posts, 1514 Comments

You know, this just looks on fire...
I don't know whether to call it a landscape or an abstract even though it is clearly a landscape.
Just superb...

Dan Kearl

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dan Kearl Gallery of Dan Kearl

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/15/17 at 11:34 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I am definitely down with this one, Dave.  Love it.  Yes it is pushed, but in a very artful way for me.  Outstanding.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/16/17 at 09:49 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Beautiful colors and layering. I would tend to agree with Igor on bringing down the sat on the cyan a touch, but pretty dang minor and a personal interpretation. 

I take you to all the best places! sad

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/16/17 at 4:13 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

Dave, the light here is gorgeous, and I love all the layers. I do agree with reducing the cyan. I also think Scott's suggestion to crop out the trees has merit. To me, the star of the image is the layers of color and texture up to the shadow line. Not only that, but the pano crop accentuates the real nice layers of light and color.

In any event, you did a great job here. this is an exceptional image.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Rudy Ruberti on 03/20/17 at 10:24 pm EST    
Registered on 10/28/08, 179 Posts, 1875 Comments

The vegetation in this area has such a distinct look and I like this one a lot.  I also agree with Lon and Igor on the saturation, but very nicely done.

Rudy Ruberti
Simi Valley, CA

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Rudy Ruberti Gallery of Rudy Ruberti

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership