Join NPN on Google+ Follow NPN on Facebook Follow NPN on Twitter
Inspiration    |    Instruction    |    Galleries    |    Forums    |    Portfolios    |    Membership

Puget Systems Customs PCs

Owens Layers + Edit
Photo posted by Dave Dillemuth in the Landscape gallery on 03/10/17 at 12:37 pm EST
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments
Post last edited by Dave Dillemuth on 03/10/17 at 5:40 pm EST

I made this image on the same evening as Harley's recent post from the Owens Valley. Comments, critiques and suggestions appreciated.

5DSR, 70-200 f/4 IS L @ 200mm. 

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth
FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Skip Layman on 03/10/17 at 1:10 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 558 Posts, 1704 Comments

I love the subtle colors and layers in this!  My only suggestion is to consider cropping from the top a bit to remove what looks to me like a plowed field.

Skip Layman
Colorado Springs, CO

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Skip Layman Gallery of Skip Layman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harry Lichtman on 03/10/17 at 1:13 pm EST    
Registered on 09/17/10, 304 Posts, 3507 Comments

A colorful comp, beautiful winter colors.  I wonder if you know how these areas look in the summer, do they lose their appeal?  On the fence about the very top.  Inclined to crop it off.

Harry Lichtman
Newmarket, NH

www.HarryLichtman.com
Harry Lichtman Photography

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harry Lichtman Gallery of Harry Lichtman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/10/17 at 2:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Now we're talkin'!  Love the range and tones of colors throughout.  I like the position and inclusion of the larger bush in the center; it a good place for the eye to fall back to while exploring all the colors, details and texture.

I'm with Harry and unsure of the top.  It's not a distraction but it almost looks like a plowed field (I know it's not.) It's not an image killer for me, and in fact at least the ground up top is somewhat uniform (like a sky might be,) so again, not a distraction.  Just an observation.

Love the arrangements of color you manage to see and photograph.  Love 'em.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Peter Richter on 03/10/17 at 2:44 pm EST    
Registered on 11/10/10, 218 Posts, 2723 Comments

Dave, I really enjoy the interplay of colors, textures and layers. In my opinion cropping the field at the top would make for a more consistent look. Your image makes me want to explore this location.

Peter

Peter Richter
Vienna, Austria

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Peter Richter Gallery of Peter Richter

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Ed Lowe on 03/10/17 at 4:57 pm EST    
Registered on 02/07/04, 414 Posts, 7115 Comments

Another beauty from the Owens Valley, Dave. The layers and colors are just gorgeous. My only suggestion would be the already mentioned crop from the top.

Ed

Ed Lowe

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Ed Lowe Gallery of Ed Lowe

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Dave Dillemuth on 03/10/17 at 5:39 pm EST    
Registered on 12/10/15, 104 Posts, 1112 Comments

Thanks for the comments. Cropping the top seems to be a consistent thought. I played with that but think I personally prefer not chopping off the tops of the trees. I tried reducing the strip up top and gaining more separation by increasing the contrast and dodging the tree tops. Not sure reactions...

Harry,
The color of this foliage changes dramatically as spring progresses and IMO loses its photographic appeal.  

Dave Dillemuth
Santa Barbara, California
davedillemuthphotography.smugmug.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Dave Dillemuth Gallery of Dave Dillemuth

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Igor Doncov on 03/10/17 at 5:48 pm EST    
Registered on 11/22/14, 189 Posts, 2733 Comments

Another vote for cropping the field out at the top.

"If you want to make more interesting pictures, become a more interesting person" - Jay Maisel. 

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Igor Doncov Gallery of Igor Doncov

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Lon Overacker on 03/10/17 at 6:04 pm EST    
Registered on 11/24/06, 521 Posts, 19147 Comments

Dave,

Excellent compromise! The slight crop and the darken of the tone up top resolves my comment.  In fact, the tone at the top is now more in line with the rest of the image and colors.  Well done! And thanks for taking the time and considering the feedback.

Lon

Lon Overacker
Livermore, California

Capturing Moments in Time

To photograph is to hold one's breath, when all faculties converge to capture fleeting reality. It's at that precise moment that mastering an image becomes a great physical and intellectual joy. -Henri Cartier-Bresson

Personal Website    Online Portfolio Member Blog NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Lon Overacker Gallery of Lon Overacker

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by gary phillips on 03/10/17 at 9:52 pm EST    
Registered on 10/24/13, 185 Posts, 4136 Comments

I can't get enough of these, Dave.  Love the layers and colors.  Your repost works very nicely in dealing with the space up top.  Love this one.

Gary Phillips
Ivins, Utah

NPN Member All Photos and Comments by gary phillips Gallery of gary phillips

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by scott lanz on 03/11/17 at 08:47 am EST    
Registered on 11/14/03, 840 Posts, 12902 Comments

Beautiful, Dave. I like this presented, and I understand not wanting to cut off the tops of the trees, but I could also see cropping the trees altogether, as an alternative. What I especially love about this image is the amazingly beautiful foreground. 

scott lanz
Youngstown, Ohio
www.lanzscape.com

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by scott  lanz Gallery of scott  lanz

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Harley Goldman on 03/11/17 at 09:44 am EST    
Registered on 11/19/03, 586 Posts, 11271 Comments

Excellent layering of color and vegetation. I like the repost. It would not look right cropped in comparison. Beautiful. 

Harley Goldman
Harley Goldman Photography
Landscape, Man & Nature and POP Galleries and CANP Forum Moderator

"You were born an original. Don't die a copy."
- John Mason

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Harley Goldman Gallery of Harley Goldman

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Bill Fach on 03/11/17 at 11:33 am EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 1805 Posts, 26981 Comments

Dave: Love the color palette and textures here and I like your crop choice. Really well done. >=))>

Bill Fach
Soli Deo Gloria
www.sdgimages.com
Houston, Texas
Flora Gallery Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Bill Fach Gallery of Bill Fach

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Preston Birdwell on 03/11/17 at 6:28 pm EST    
Registered on 11/01/03, 471 Posts, 5188 Comments

The re-post gets my vote, Dave. It was a small, but significant change. The variety of tone and color is excellent.
--P

Preston Birdwell
Columbia, California, USA

NPN 429 | California Nature Photographers (CANP) Moderator | 'NPN Discussion' Moderator

“If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse, well, that comes a little cheaper" Author Unknown

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Preston Birdwell Gallery of Preston Birdwell

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Mark Seaver on 03/12/17 at 2:23 pm EST    
Registered on 01/23/11, 1103 Posts, 17270 Comments

Yes, the colors in the shrubbery look familiar and again wonderful. The repost has a nice added pop.  I always enjoy spring colors.  They often rival fall colors but with a very different set of colors.  Yes, you need to catch them early to get the biggest color changes.

Mark Seaver
Burtonsville, MD & Emigrant, MT
seaverphotos.com
Weekly Challenge Moderator
Macro/Close Up Moderator

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Mark Seaver Gallery of Mark Seaver

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by John Williams on 03/13/17 at 8:41 pm EST    
Registered on 09/06/07, 221 Posts, 5985 Comments

The repost looks really good Dave. I love the beautiful colors and layers.

John Williams
www.tranquilviews.com
Battle Ground, WA
I often have wandered in deep contemplation, It seems that the mind runs wild when you're all alone. -John Denver

Personal Website    Online Portfolio NPN Member All Photos and Comments by John Williams Gallery of John Williams

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Doug Koepsel on 03/13/17 at 11:09 pm EST    
Registered on 04/01/10, 196 Posts, 1592 Comments

Dave, I like the color differences in the brush.  My thought/suggestions may run opposite in that I would reduce the contrast in luminosity mode to retain the saturation. I would go for a softer feel.  Also, crop off the darker 5% on the bottom, off the top to the treetops, and some off the left to rid the bare patch.

Doug Koepsel
Flagstaff, AZ
Plateau Light Photography
https://www.facebook.com/doug.koepsel

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Doug Koepsel Gallery of Doug Koepsel

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE
Comment posted by Nick Bristol on 03/14/17 at 1:26 pm EST    
Registered on 02/01/04, 752 Posts, 14140 Comments

Dave, The layers, colors and textures in this are absolutely wonderful. The repost looks fantastic!

Nick Bristol
Lone Rock, WI.

Personal Website    NPN Member All Photos and Comments by Nick Bristol Gallery of Nick Bristol

FLAG PHOTO
PREVIOUS PHOTO
RETURN TO INDEX
NEXT PHOTO
TOP OF PAGE

Top of Page    |    Home Page    |    Galleries & Forums    |    Articles & Reviews    |    Membership    |    Top of Page

The Nature Photographers Network™ is an international cooperative network of amateur and professional photographers dedicated to the art and technique of nature, wildlife and landscape photography.     Learn More About the Benefits of NPN Membership